My source of income will be:-
  • Work (in my usual occupation)
    30% (11)
  • Work (as a builder - every one does that right?)
    5% (2)
  • Gites
    3% (1)
  • Cafe / Hotel / Restaurant
    5% (2)
  • Farm or Smallholding
    8% (3)
  • I'll just sign on and get benefits
    0% (0)
  • Work? I'm rich. (ha ha ha)
    11% (4)
  • Pension
    38% (14)

Total votes: 37

Income sources?
by Dave • Fri 22 Oct 2004 13:38

Right so you've packed the kids, spouse and pets into the large van together with all your worldly possessions and moved the lot to France, pleased at only being moderately fleeced crossing the channel. You bought a house and put the kids in school and fenced the dog in. The bills are arriving and the enormous fortune from the ubiquitous equity release is beginning to look like it will last considerably less than you'd planned.

What's an Englishman abroad (speaking little French) going to do for income in a department where jobs are rare?

That's a good question.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Income sources?
by sscbristol • Wed 27 Oct 2004 08:26

I don't think to many people moving to Creuse will be looking for work. If they wanted to work, presumably they would have picked a different dept. We picked Creuse due to the beautiful countryside and a totally de-stressed lifestyle (apart from learning better French and getting to grips with all the required form filling and paperwork)

I think most persons will have taken some form of early retirement and living off pension etc., or running a gite or two (probably a bit of both).

What do you do Dave ?

Tony

sscbristol
Oct 2004
by Dave • Wed 27 Oct 2004 08:44

That's a fair enough comment I guess, but it's not true in my experience as most of the English people I know in the Creuse work, either to supplement their pension or as a main form of income.

I'm an engineer.

I'll add a new category to the poll.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by charlie • Tue 04 Jan 2005 08:12

Dave,
How did you know that the first job on our property was to "fence the dog in"? I am pleased to read that you are an engineer.
We are only in France during holiday time but when we finally retire properly and spend longer in France we will be living off our pensions. I would not contemplate moving into our area with a view to earn a good living. There seems to be a definite lack of opportunities for the French residents. We benefit from the peace and easy life-style.
Charlie

charlie
Dec 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions