SPANC inspection
by cmchsmjm • Thu 20 Aug 2015 17:25

Our fosse septique has to be 'SPANC'd before the 18th of December. I have just found the facture given to us by the previous owner it is not up to current regulations (it has a 2000L tank and not the 3000L minimum)

My question is, how long might we be given to replace the fosse? We haven't had any problems with our water or experienced any nasty smells and It's money I would rather spend on other parts of the house at this stage...

We only use the house for about 12 weeks of the year, will this have any bearing on the matter?

Thanks all

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: SPANC inspection
by Freezerbill • Thu 20 Aug 2015 19:17

How long have you had the house and who has told you it has to be inspected?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by cmchsmjm • Thu 20 Aug 2015 19:45

We have had the house for 5½ years.
When I got back to the UK on Monday there was a letter for me from a company called évolis 23 would claim they have been appointed by our Commune to carry out the inspections.

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Freezerbill • Thu 20 Aug 2015 20:14

We had that when we first moved here, I cancelled the appointment telling them that I was in Uk. itold them that I would contact them when I returned. I haven't heard anything since. That was 4 years ago

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by cmchsmjm • Thu 20 Aug 2015 21:17

Thanks for the advice rictel and freezerbill. I was wondering what would happen if I couldn't make it back before the December deadline...might be worth telling them I won't be back until next year and see what happens!

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Robjelves • Thu 20 Aug 2015 21:30

We purchase our property in 2013 and was told at the time the fosse did not conform. We were initially told we had 12 months to get it sorted but at the signing the notaire said we had 3 years so we thought no more about it.
In April this year we received a letter from Evolis 23 to say we had until November to make our fosse conform or we will be fined I think €266 per year until it does. My first thought was pay the fine for the next 10 years, only cost me €2660 as app owed to over €10000 for a new fosse, but I believe there to be a case going through court at the moment and these fines may change.
We contacted Evolis 23 and met a really nice man called Nicolas who gave us some options and wanted to work with us to get our fosse up to conformity.
We are in the process of getting a new fosse installed but have a few issues with waste water from the fosse and are in negotiations with the Marie.
We have filled in the appropriate paperwork to say we are making plans for the replacement and I believe the fine will be put on hold.
I was always told don't worry about it the French don't have the resources to check...I now think things have changed and everyone will be getting SPANCed at some point.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by cmchsmjm • Thu 20 Aug 2015 21:53

Interesting Robjelves...thanks.I may have to chance a fine to give me some financial breathing room as there are more (from my perspective) pressing things to spend money on at the house.

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Robjelves • Fri 21 Aug 2015 12:30

Just re read your first post. Ours is currently a holiday home and it does affect what type of system you can fit. We wanted a microstation but they are only suitable for full time occupancy.
It might be worth you contacting Evolis 23 and getting them round to have a look at what you have got. I'm sure ther will be many properties in France where the owners can't afford a new fosse. We too would have loved to spend the money on something else but as our property is all livable we will have to wait for the niceties.
Indecently the fine is exactly the same amount as the application fee for the new fosse inspections...not sure wher the incentive is to do the work!

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by cmchsmjm • Fri 21 Aug 2015 13:20

I will most likely try and get the inspector over when I am at the house for a week in Sept/Oct and see what happens.

We can't ignore that fact that we need a new fosse to keep in line with current regs but as the fine is (relatively) small we will probably pay that until we are in a position to proceed!

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Robjelves • Tue 08 Sep 2015 22:06

A quick update on our system. Our current none conforming fosse exits into a communal drain that goes through a neighbours property...long story that. We had planned to have our new system located in the front of the house and a pump to exit the cleaner water into the same drain. However the neighbour has objected saying as the pipe exits onto her land we need to draw up a written agreement as to who pays in the event of a problem or as its a communal drain the Marie should adopt the drain ( they fitted ).
I agree with the neighbour as several houses and surface water pass through this pipe so why should she be responsible for it. We have contacted the Marie who have basically washed there hands of it and said they want nothing to do with it. I don't really want to enter into an agreement as it could get very messy and costly to draw up. My only other option is to dig up the road and exit the waste water onto our field. This will inevitably cost a lot more and as we were struggling to find the original costs we may have to delay.
Interestingly though the man from evolis 23 has said he will do all he can to stop us being fined as its not our fault.
Just one more point. We had our new fosse sized on the current house layout, we were planning on a new master bedroom for ourselves ( may have to wait ). This new room will increase the size of the fosse needed so had we already gone ahead by the time the new room was finished our new fosse would have been none conforming again.
We love the French way of life but trying to get anything done is like pulling teeth.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by cmchsmjm • Tue 13 Oct 2015 20:08

Well, we've been 'SPANC'd

Wasn't as bad as I thought, the inspector was lovely and pleasant. It did, however, take her about 30 minutes to find the septic tank as I didn't have a clue where it was!

Although it wasn't up to code we don't have to replace it unless we sell the house as we bought our back in 2010....it will be our kids problem to sort out ha ha.
We will no doubt replace it at some point but at least the pressure is off and we wont need an inspection for 10 years.

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions