Devis, livraison and demands for money
by BrianH • Fri 31 Jan 2014 21:55

I accepted a devis for electrical installation for a new build in late 2012, work to commence in January 2013, 7 days work. I allocated 4 weeks and duly turned up for start of works. At the end of 4 weeks, electrician still hadn't finished, the same at the end of week 5, week 6 and week 7. I went home with "2 days" work left to do. I returned in June allowing 3 weeks for him to complete the 2 days work, at the end of those 3 weeks, there remained "2 days" work. I returned in September for 2 weeks, he turned up the last 2 days I was there to "complete" the job. He told me he didn't have enough time to check the earth resistance (something that would take 30 minutes max to do??????) and said I would have to return to England and come back the following week, and give him a window of 3 days to do the job. After speaking with the local constabulary he suddenly called me and did the test on the Sunday as we were about to get in the car to drive back home. I must have asked him 20 times during those 8/9 months when the consuel was coming and he kept making excuse upon excuse. He has resorted (on a number of occasions) to (blackmail) threatening to down tools and not continue work unless I paid "intermediary" payments. I only caved in the first time, the following occasions resulted in heated rows, abusive language and schoolboy tantrums from him. I am due to be on site in March for the consuel, and he has started with his demands again, one being that he will not give me the consuels conformity certificate until I have paid him in full.

OK, a deposit is required when accepting the devis, and everyone I spoke to (Mairie, police, builders, neighbours, web searches etc ad infinitum) all confirmed that he does not get paid until "livraison".

A year ago he was supposed to do a job in 7 days, am I in a position where I can legally tell him to take a hike as far as the balance is concerned due to the fact that he has caused me at least a years delay in the project?

thanks
Brian

BrianH
Jan 2012
Re: Devis, livraison and demands for money
by rictel • Sat 01 Feb 2014 20:44

On your devis was there a date specified for Start date, completion, or even for the duration of the work ? Also, as you say, a deposit is normal but did you agreed to stage payments ? I would think this unlikely if the work was only to take 7 days. If the Gendarmes have been involved ( tbh surprised they took an interest ) I guess they checked out his registration & legality to work. As to whether he is entitled to payment before consuel check I am not sure but there are electricians on the forum who hopefully will be able to answer that.

If you haven't already done so I would suggest you get in touch with the chambre de metiers in Gueret & see if they can help. Even if there is no completion date on your devis I would think the C de M would think 12 months for 7 days work would be a bit excessive.

Good Luck.

rictel
Dec 2007
by kowalczy • Sat 01 Feb 2014 20:52

We are of course only hearing one side of the tale, but that said several things stand out to me.

Did you have a start & finish dates stated on the devis? If so, although the time scale seems unreasonable, it may not leave you in a strong position if you tell the geezer "to do one".

Presuming that your property is in the Creuse, the normal waiting time for a Consuel inspection, at this time of the year, is between about 9 - 12 days. If he has arranged a visit from an inspector, why is it taking so long (March)? Has he really arranged a visit? Ask for the reference number of the application and call the Consuel in Limoges for verification.

Was the Attestation de Conformity (Consuel) listed on the devis? Or was it added (unwritten) at a later date? If it was I would seriously think about employing another Electrician to check over the installation and apply for the Attestation de Conformity or do it yourself (it does not have to be applied for by a sparks, but you may be required to answer a few questions).

If the AdC was mentioned on the original devis, that is the final part of the installation, so one does not pay until the job is completed, "livraison".

After you have received the AdC in hand, there is no need or requirement to use an electrician (although it is handy) to finalise the "mise en service" from ERdF to make your connection to the grid.

One thing to note is that if you do not make a full & final payment the cover afforded by the Assurance D├ęcennale and any guarantees are null and void.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by BrianH • Tue 04 Feb 2014 12:31

Nothing in writing as far as start and end dates are concerned, although the devis shows 7 days labour costs and 7 "deplacements". When I confronted him about the fact he had quoted a weeks work, he replied "yes, but I didn't say it would be the same week". No mention of the AdC in the devis. The electrical installation is, as far as I am concerned, sub-standard. He plugged a tester into one of the sockets, and got an error show on the screen. The wiring in the attic terminal boxes, have wires just pouring out like spaghetti, 1 box is not and cannot be closed. He has done things like, quote on a plan that shows double plugs, fit single plugs, yet charge for doubles, install one light in the kitchen instead of 2.

BrianH
Jan 2012
by rictel • Tue 04 Feb 2014 20:37

If his work is sub standard it wont pass consuel anyway, so get an independant report on his work from a reputable electrician . If they agree it's sub standard take it all to the chambre de metiers & complain about him.

rictel
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions