Useful Tips
by beetle • Fri 03 Jan 2014 19:28

Painting
Paint brush, roller, or pad - varnish, emulsion or gloss - still required the next day or week,
wrap individually in cling film and place in the fridge.
The material on them remains OK to use and the implements work fine.

Sanding
A "Rapid stock removal disc" ( like a grinding disc, but with abrasive cloth strips bonded to one side)
fitted onto an angle grinder is ideal for removing old paint, dressing rough cut timber,
sharpening blades, plus it is quick.
I have found it very useful reviving old timber doors, stripped of their weather worn surface the wood still looks fine.

Weed Control
Ground control fabric essential to underlay the drive and flower beds, unless you enjoy weeding under a hot sun?

Stone Floor Colour
To get a nice satin / clean wet look "Stone colour enhancer" brushed on once every two years keeps the floor looking great.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Useful Tips
by Dave • Tue 14 Jan 2014 09:43

I'm not sure about that painting tip as I expect this might make everything in the frigde taste of paint.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by rictel • Tue 14 Jan 2014 17:47

Dave, I reckon it would be ok as long as the brush was well wrapped, mind you I've never tried it so don't blame me if your food tastes iffy !

Re brushes & rollers, for emulsion or water based paint you can also just put them in a plastic bag as long as you roll the bag around them & make sure there are no air pockets, personally, I've never bothered to put them in the fridge. With oil based paint & varnish , you can also store them upright in a container ( such as a paint kettle ) of clean water up to the level of the stock of the brush, then "flick out " the water when you are ready to use them again. Both of these methods are fine but not recommended as long term storage, maybe up to a week or so.

Just another tip ( which I don't know is based in fact, but have it in good authority ), I was told early days, never to wash your emulsion tools in the sink if you have a fosse as it will destroy the working bacteria. Maybe some of our fosse experts could confirm this ?

rictel
Dec 2007
by beetle • Tue 21 Jan 2014 19:42

Paint roller and two varnish brushes one month on, are still as fresh as when I put them in the fridge.
Chickens, pies yougurts and the dogs grub all came out tasting fine except for my strong cheese which had grown a good head of hair and answeared to the name of Cyril (I forgot it was there!)
Oh, here's another tip if you use any curtain wire white cable ties make excellent runners.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions