Building Materials
by Robjelves • Sun 29 Dec 2013 11:02

Hi, we have recently purchased a house in cheniers, we spent out time last year enjoying our new adventure. However this coming year I need to do some DIY to keep the place cosy.
I have a small roof section on a lean too that I want to replace and also want to lay some new floorboards.
I need somewhere to buy building materials, roof tiles and timber. My french is not yet up to telephoning round ( am having lessons here in England ).
Any information welcomed
Rob

Robjelves
Dec 2013
Re: Building Materials
by Dave • Sun 29 Dec 2013 12:54

Welcome to Pont Noir.

There are builders merchants and big DIY stores that you can get what you need although often you will be better of travelling outside of the Creuse. There is Point P and Chausson Matériaux in Guéret, Brico Dépôt (like a B&Q warehouse) in Montluçon (03) and Châteauroux (36), and once of the best places is Bricomarché in La Châtre (36). Most of these companies have websites (just google the name) and some have vans to hire to get larger stuff home if you need to and some will deliver at a cost.

There are plenty of others that sometimes are good but usually more expensive, Aubusson Bricolage, Mr Bricolage etc.

Montluçon (03), Châteauroux (36) and Limoges (87) all have a full selection larger DIY stores.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Robjelves • Sun 29 Dec 2013 14:11

Thanks Dave, have just checked the couple you suggested in Guéret and the seem to supply most things. Just need to work out if they keep stock of the tiles I' m after.
At the moment I feel like a workman without his tools, I am quite a competent DIYer and am so used to being able to pop down the road to pick up supplies.. Suppose I just need to be more organised and try not to forget anything. Part of french life I suppose. Back over in February and am already looking forward to the summer, hoping to get 5 weeks over this year.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by chris-le-bricoleur • Sun 29 Dec 2013 21:13

Rob,
I found it useful to browse all DIY sheds and builder's merchants in order to get an impression what they are good in. Now I know for which article to go to Weldom, BricoMarché, Doras, BricoDepot, Lapeyre - or a specialized electrics store, or a sawmill.
This was ten years ago. Now I often browse their websites.

chris-le-bricoleur
by Robjelves • Sun 29 Dec 2013 23:42

As I am using my iPad I can open up these links and save them to iBook for future reference. Trés Bon

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Robjelves • Thu 06 Feb 2014 21:33

http://www.chausson-materiaux.fr/
Just thought I'd do a quick update on this, with the help of this site and our french neibours we have managed to order some roof tiles and am expecting delivery during our half term visit in just over a weeks time. Only a small lean to roof to replace so should be ok!
Hoping for some drier weather that we are having here in the UK. Don't mind the cold just need it dry.
To top it all I now have an account with chausson materiaux, just need to improve my french in order to be able to use it.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by ihusker • Fri 07 Feb 2014 00:47

I hope you checked out the cost of delivery from Chaussons.
Last year I had a porch built and needed various materialsm ost of which I got from the builders in Lavaviex les mines, who I found very good with minimal delivery charges.
I needed some more sand and cement and went to Chaussons as they were nearest and the delivery charges would have been about €65.00 for about €35.00 of materials. I went back to Lavaviex and they charged about €15 delivery.
I can't remember the name of the builders. They used to be Fauconnet, but changed hands.
Hope this is of some use.

ihusker
Feb 2006
by Annik • Fri 07 Feb 2014 12:55

Ets Gadeix builders' merchants at Gouzon are very good. It is a family business and the chap is extremely helpful. He once came specially in the early evening, several days earlier than promised, to deliver some sand for us – in the days before we stayed at the house for any long stretches – because he'd heard on the weather forecast that it was going to rain and he was afraid we might not be able to complete the job in hand.

This kindness meant that we always think of him first if we need something.

However Gouzon is rather a long way from Chéniers.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Robjelves • Mon 10 Feb 2014 22:46

Just checked my invoice, they are charging €30 for delivery of the roof tiles. I think that's not bad!!!

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Robjelves • Mon 24 Feb 2014 22:49

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of the before and after job. All went smoothly, looking forward to getting back over and my next challenge...!

Attachments
image.jpg image.jpg
Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Annik • Tue 25 Feb 2014 00:22

Well done - that looks really nice!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Robjelves • Sat 31 May 2014 22:04

Keeping this subject going. Has anyone asked or managed to get a discount on building materials. I have checked the prices on the Chausson Materiaux website and if I were in the UK I would be asking for a discount due to the amount I will be spending.

Is it possible to get a trade account in France?
Rob

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by RobertArthur • Sun 01 Jun 2014 10:49

You can always ask.....Helpful: to be a registered professional. The electricians here in France get substantial discounts. To reach their targets they sometimes buy too much, and sell their surplus stock supplies for attractive prices and still make a profit.

By the way: the earlier links to French construction language have been removed from the website of PointP. Someone else was so clever to take the pdf files onboard of his own website: click on the pictures.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Robjelves • Mon 03 Nov 2014 22:27

image.jpg
Latest update... Just returned from our last week of the year...very sad.. Had some more building materials delivers from chausson. Added the products to my basket online and then screened shot the basket and got one of our french friends to order it. Came in at nealy €200 cheaper doing it this way, she even queried the price and they said "he can pay more if he wants to". It's quite an experience going into branch now they are really friendly and am getting to know them well.. They probably thinking what's that mad english man doing now?
Just thought I'd add a picture of my new floor going in. Eventually want to create a master bedroom and en suite, might not be typically french but feel I might need the comfort in my later years

Robjelves
Dec 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions