Measuring a Barn for Conversion
by susan • Tue 21 May 2013 15:10

When measuring a barn for conversion, do you have to include the area of the house it is attached to, when submitting the plans for conversion. The actual area of our barn is less than 170 sq meters but we are not sure if the house has to be added to that. If so, it would mean that we had to submit architect plans rather than drawings I presume. Has anyone had a similar experience?

susan
Sep 2008
Re: Measuring a Barn for Conversion
by RobertArthur • Tue 21 May 2013 17:11

The French legal text reads as follows:

......Toutefois, entre 20 et 40 m² de surface de plancher ou d'emprise au sol, un permis de construire est exigé lorsque les extensions ont pour effet de porter la surface totale de la construction au-delà de 170 m².......

Barn and house to be considered as one unit? If your plans bring the total surface above 170 m², I'm afraid you'll need a permis de construire, and an architect.

Barn somewhere else? Then it has to be considered as a changement de destination, with probably several changes in the façade: also a permis de construire required.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by susan • Tue 21 May 2013 17:20

We thought that might be the case, thankyou

susan
Sep 2008
by tebs • Sun 29 Dec 2013 07:20

There are 2 issues to consider.

1) Are you planning to extend the house or create a new dwelling ?
2) The 170 sqm rule

Extend or new ?
------------- Probably best to ask at the Mairie how they would want it treated but IF an extension then you must include the former house in your calculations, if it's a separate dwelling (with no interconnecting door)then you won't need to include the original house.

170sqm rule
----------- The 170 sqm MUST be calculated in 2 different ways :-

1) Internal floor area on all floors
2) External footprint on ground

Have a look at the following link - for a fuller explanation in English.

http://www.2336.eu/over-or-under-170-sqm.php

tebs
Sep 2010
by susan • Sun 29 Dec 2013 11:06

Thank you. It will be a while until we finally break through into the barn,but at least we know we have to include the house in the calculations. Is it therefore necessary to have proper plans drawn up or can we do it ourselves? Many thanks again

susan
Sep 2008
by tebs • Sun 19 Jan 2014 09:18

DIY ! The application form even tells you what "attachments" are needed (site plan, site cross section, facade views before and after and a "footprint")

tebs
Sep 2010
by CaroleandClive • Sun 19 Jan 2014 17:01

Hello there tebs
Not sure if you might have read my post on the subject under a new heading...
Just read your post, where do I find this application form? This information is from what appears to be a franchise firm advertising on the web and not all the links work. I'm not totally sure it is completely current as my friend, who is a French immobilier thinks possibly not. So much of this is very vague and I suspect only in the realms of the French architects network. Remember those 'home sale packs' that were introduced in the UK several years ago and then after a lot of people had trained to prepare them/or paid to have them written as a requirement for all sellers, were scrapped by the Government as unworkable. It just reminds me of that situation... I think the principle is necessary, but the workable logistics... not sure. I'm going to speak to a couple of architects and see where that gets me.
kind regards
Carole

CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by tebs • Sun 02 Mar 2014 08:50

Carole & Clive

Sorry for the delay in response !

This is where you can find the French Govt Permis de Construire form ...

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.g ... a_13406.do

If it's not exactly what you require try going up a level or 2 then coming down again when something looks right - that's how I found it in the first place, I then did a cut and paste translation using Google Translate. Laborious but helpful.

Re the other link (2336) I used them to do some of the drawings as my case was a bit complex and their website explains what photos to take etc. I'll try and send you a PM with the access codes to that part of their site.

tebs
Sep 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions