DIY spray Foam Insulation
by chaillac1 • Sat 17 Mar 2007 20:07

I am about to convert my loft space into a 2 bed appartment. This Easter i will be fitting a sub floor then i intend to insulate the roof section by using spray foam which should both secure the tiles and stop any water penetration while providing a breathable barrier to offfer my plaster board upto.
the question here is .. Has anyone done this and while i know i can buy the diy kit in the UK does anyone know if DIY spray foam Insulation kits are available in France / our area????

chaillac1
Dec 2005
Re: DIY spray Foam Insulation
by Dave • Sun 18 Mar 2007 16:21

I looked into this a while back and decided against it. It seemed to me to be too tricky for a DIY job with many things that could go wrong. I also wondered a bit about using it with old irregular shaped clay tiles with a temperature range of -15 to + 40 °C and I expected seepage, cracking and lifting.

It also looks like even professional installation can cause issues with tile breakage and roof renovations later, as reported on Watchdog.

There are people in France who do this kind of "hard" setting foam insulation but it is used almost exclusively in agricultural and industrial buildings, mainly with metal roofs. Their quotes would not be cost effective, even if they would undertake the work (which many would not). I couldn't find anyone in the Limousin at the time but this was a few years back now.

Personally, I don't think this sort of insulation is suitable for most houses in the Creuse.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by chaillac1 • Sun 18 Mar 2007 18:05

Thanks for that and watchdog link was interesting. Do you have any suggestions for insulating the roof ready for overlaying with plaster board.with out lifting the tiles off . I had considered fitting some Triso - Super 10 by stapeling it to the down beams the lath runs across then screwing some battons across then screwing the boards to that. My only worry was if the roof ever leaked but i suppose i could overlay and gaffer tape all the joints. I dont suppose you know if you can get super 10 out there, i think you should be able to because the packaging has French on it. and it would save me carting over an estate car full of it.

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by emandem • Sun 18 Mar 2007 20:54

As I'm sure others will tell you it is French. We used Triso-super 9 in the early 90's and it changed our lives -or at least the habitability of the attic rooms. I know you will find it at builder's suppliers.

emandem
Dec 2006
by chaillac1 • Sun 18 Mar 2007 21:22

Thanks emandem , i have been looking into it on the net and hearing what you have to say has swayed me and i will be looking to get the Triso super 10 over there this April.

another good illustration of just how good this site is

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by blaudeix • Mon 19 Mar 2007 19:20

If you have the room use 200mm rockwool & metal Framing as found at Brico depot etc, if space is limited use, as you say, Actis tri iso stuff or another cheaper brand & then metal frame & boards - Works a treat :) doesn't matter what shape the roof is then as you line up the fixings with a string. I'll have a look see if I have any photos of it in place but I don't think so (picture say a 1000 words etc)
steve

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by blaudeix • Tue 20 Mar 2007 12:13

I found a picture, although you can't see the pieces that support the visible rails, but it gives you the idea if you've not seen it before

metalframe.jpg

blaudeix
Nov 2006
by chaillac1 • Tue 20 Mar 2007 21:52

Thanks Blaudiex for the picture , i note you haven't left any beams exposed . My intention is to leave the main joists exposed running the length and breadth so using the 200mm rock wool would impact on the look i am after. How did you finish of your plaster board , did you plaster all over or fill and sand joints.

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by blaudeix • Wed 21 Mar 2007 11:03

There wasn't any beams worth exposing!

You can still use the same method with the tri iso. so that saves about 180mm. and will leave the beams exposed, just a pain in the ar*e to cut each board to match the wonky beam, but I guess its worth it.

That slope was dry lined (joints filled) but I've done both methods, I think plastering is quicker and you don't get dusty :) but it depends if I have uk plaster in stock ;)

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by chaillac1 • Wed 21 Mar 2007 20:59

last easter i brought out 18 bags of board plaster and flew out 2 guys, hired them a car etc to slap it in as many walls i had previously boarded up... They were very good at there job but it cost a fair bit.. Since then i have learnt to plaster and have put my son through plastering school and he is very good at it .. so it looks as though i will be bringing over another van load when the walls are up . and working off large amounts of debt my son has racked up from my pocket over his 25 years.. Thanks for the advice

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by RobertArthur • Wed 18 Mar 2009 14:58

Dave already wisely said - two years ago - that sprayfoaming is not a DIY job, and that even professionals should be carefull. There are now some French firms importing US and Canadian technologies to do the job. This is one of them, with a nice video. But: more suited for the specific wood frame constructions across the Atlantic, than for traditional French buildings.

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by speedo • Thu 19 Mar 2009 12:04

Hi We stapled the trendy silver space age insulation directly to the rafters overlapped and sealed the joints with the recommended 100mm tape, this acts as a sarking. Then counter battened with 25 x 40 mm battens to matain an air space and then screwed the plaster board to the battens leaving main beams (perlings I think) exposed.

Regards
Speedo

speedo
Aug 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 19 Mar 2009 13:29

Having used the tri iso + metal brackets and frames on a sloping ceiling downstairs, we were considering using the tri iso stuff + battens in the attic as cutting all the slits for the 'suspensifs' and then taping them up was quite time consuming. Using battens sounds more straightforward.We are also hoping to leave some exposed beams.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Lynn • Tue 24 Mar 2009 06:19

Hi Chaillac
Just a thought, we have nailed our battens on top of the triso as they recommend not using screws as the Triso gets all twisted round the screws and makes life difficult.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by chaillac1 • Fri 24 Apr 2009 10:56

Hi lynn over the last 6mths holiday periods I have fitted Tri iso by the same stapling method used by Speedo in his post . But this Easter / last week I managed to fit the batons for fixing my board to, the first issue here is to come to terms with just how square every think needs to look verses character> as I am leaving as many exposed main beams I opted for squareish / charictorish to help make life easier for me I opted to take the approach to board out each ceiling as an individual room, and in fact now all the dividing studwork is in place I have decided to focus on one room at a time for every thing. This way the job shows progress and helps the motivation. Any way getting back to fixing the batons over the top of the Tri iso you are right you cant drive a screw into the tri iso as it just gathers the material up and wrecks the tri iso or snaps the screw or creates a problem with levelling. So your advice is top on here don’t even bother trying to screw into it . To get over this problem my advice is get yourself a Paslode Nail Gun there great just like having a third hand> I would never advise using a hammer as the banging will only cause you to loose some roof tiles where as the nail gun hasn’t created me any problems at all.

Chaillac1

chaillac1
Dec 2005
by Lynn • Fri 24 Apr 2009 15:19

Hi
glad that helped.....we hadn't thought of using a nail gun so will investigate that one; thanks.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by chaillac1 • Fri 24 Apr 2009 22:30

the paslode framing nail gun was expensive coming in at £360 but they have a high second hand value and once you done with it you can always sell them on on ebay and get a good chunck of your outlay back.

chaillac1

chaillac1
Dec 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions