Wind Turbines, Windmolens, Eolienne in Creuse
by beetle • Fri 11 May 2012 17:16

Wind Turbines seem to be multiplying each year both in France and England.
If you speak to some people they favour solar power over wind. But others say if you live in the UK the best you can expect out of a small panel on a boat is "it will run a fridge in the summer, but only one light bulb in the winter"
In Aigurande there is a commercial building whose large roof is covered in solar panels. In the UK solar panels are being promoted,it is viewed as a growth industry!
Wind Turbines - noisy, eyesore, dangerous,costly only efficient for local distribution/satisfying demand for power.
What is your view on these green energy producers?
Have bought into either one or do you produce your own energy?

A few links via youtube relevant to the Creuse and Eolienne :-

Windmolens, Eolienne in Creuse

Eoliennes a Chambouchard

Fonctionnement d une eolienne
L' énergie éolienne et l' énergie solaire

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Wind Turbines, Windmolens, Eolienne in Creuse
by axeman • Fri 11 May 2012 17:57

we have lived with large wind turbines for 5 years {less than a mile away.they are not noisy and a good source of green power.nuclear is not the answer let us not forget the japanese.that poor country will take decades to recover.the eoliens bring a lot of visiters to the area bizarre i know.solar is the future or photovoltic panels they just need daylight not sunshine

axeman
Jan 2012
by Annik • Fri 11 May 2012 22:14

I must admit that I think wind turbines are rather beautiful. If the human race wants to have electricity then it has to be produced somehow and wind turbines don't cause pollution for generations to come, unlike nuclear power.

However I do know that they can have noise problems - not the whoosh of the blades but a vibration that is almost subliminal and can cause a lot of problems for those living too close to them. We come from flat Lincolnshire where wind turbines were set up a long time ago and one farmer and his family who were living in a house too close to the turbines had such dreadful problems with this that it literally drove them mad and they had to move out. When they finally managed to get compensation it was revealed that this was a known problem - which was very naughty on the part of the Powers That Be.

Obviously solar power is one of the ultimate answers but in the meantime I am quite happy about wind turbines so long as they are properly installed and monitored. And actually we have shares in an Australian company that is pioneering ceramic fuel cells - which are also a very viable and non-polluting solution that may be commonplace for future generations. Their appliances have just successfully passed their first million hours of trials.

Unfortunately our French property doesn't have any roofs facing in the optimal direction for solar panels (we are thinking of building an EU-financed "tractor shed" in the field facing the right way). Unfortunately, too, we don't think we would be eligible for any French government grants for solar power as it is a maison secondaire. In England, yes, it is a definite possibility, but we have to strengthen the roof first.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Jeanne • Sat 12 May 2012 13:52

I worry about the effect they have on birds and bats, their lifespan and how environmentally friendly they are. All is sometimes not what it appears if you read the scientific research.

Would prefer the solar route, although I think they need to develop the panels a bit more so perhaps something for a few more years down the line.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by edmoraz • Sun 13 May 2012 14:24

Wind turbines are useless if the wind does not blow. I dont know why so much has been invested in them especially in the uk where we are surrounded by water and guaranteed two tides a day.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by adey • Thu 17 May 2012 09:03

I'm afraid i cannot agree that wind turbines are 'green'.
In this country they produce 'green' energy, However the cost, in pollution terms, to produce the generators is phenomenal. All this is doing is moving the pollution to another part of the world where we can't see it. Of course, we are meeting our green energy budgets so that doesn't matter. :no:

The true cost of Britain's clean, green wind power.

adey
Aug 2009
by Dave • Thu 17 May 2012 09:35

Personally, I've always thought that the large turbines (especially those off-source that require a heavy concrete base) will not produce enough energy to offset that used in their production, transportation, erection, maintenance and eventual decommission (most of this is done by burning heavy oil so not carbon neutral either). They require almost continual attention it seems and as you drive about the countryside and count up the number that aren't actually going round even in a stiff breeze you begin to wonder how close to the predicted energy production figures they will get. As many aren't linked to storage facilities if they aren't producing the energy at the right time of the day they get cut off from the grid and the generation effort is wasted.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Thu 17 May 2012 10:18

There were quite a few of the giant windmills installed in California some time ago, but several of them have been dismantled--some because they were placed in migratory bird flyways, to the grand detriment of the birds, and some because the cost of maintaining them was too high to justify their production. But there are still some. Coming down to Creuse from Paris last week we saw some new ones at the Indre/Creuse border. I think they look swell, but I'd not like to live near one. Energy production will always be a balance between economics and environmental degradation.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by BradfoChambers • Sat 30 Nov 2013 07:08

I worry about the effect they have on birds and bats, their lifespan and how environmentally friendly they are. All is sometimes not what it appears if you read the scientific research.

Would prefer the
solar panels route, although I think they need to develop the panels a bit more so perhaps something for a few more years down the line.
Jeanne
Hello friend I know thread is bit old but were you able to develop such panels? I hope you were so please share some information as I am looking to get similar panels soon

BradfoChambers
Nov 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions