Water pressure in new taps
by Annik • Fri 20 Apr 2012 09:50

In the best traditions of arriving in France after a bad winter, we've had lots of problems with burst pipes in awkward places even though we had purged the system before we left last year, as usual.

As a result we have had to replace a mixer tap in the back kitchen. We have bought the exact replacement but now it is installed the pressure of water through the tap is rubbish. Is this due to something else being wrong with our system (or the installation of the tap, though my OH is very good at this sort of thing) or have the French Government decided to do something to new taps to stop them using lots of water?

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Water pressure in new taps
by Frankie • Fri 20 Apr 2012 12:43

Annik

Do you have isolation valves before the mixer tap, sometimes there are small inline isolation valves, perhaps they are not fully open, do you have full pressure at all other taps? I am cannot see the taps having changed.

Frankie
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Fri 20 Apr 2012 14:09

In California there are indeed water-flow restrictor washers inserted in some taps--they're usually quite visually evident (not, of course, after the tap is installed). I have also had one tap purchased in France prove to have been casted incorrectly, with a pinhole-sized opening instead of a full one. Blowing thru it before assembling it drew attention to the problem. Of course, if you do have a spare tap which is known to be ok, temporarily using it could determine if the problem is in the pipe (e.g., dead varmint or pebble) or in the fixture itself.
La plomberie, le plus désolant des métiers

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Fri 20 Apr 2012 14:50

In disturbing the old tap, the chances are that some crud has fallen into the pipe, and in reconnecting the new tap the crud has gone up into the tap and has caught in the mixer-tap end filter at the nozzle. Un-screw the filter with a wrench and shake it out and you will find all is well. I had the same situation with solder bits when installing the kitchen pipes here.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Annik • Sat 21 Apr 2012 00:07

Thanks everyone - we'll check out these ideas.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Annik • Mon 23 Apr 2012 11:01

We have sorted the tap. I will let my OH explain:

"I eventually found the problem with the lack of flow from the new kitchen tap - it was taking 37 seconds for a litre. The flexible connectors although the same outside size as the old ones had a smaller hole down the middle, 4.5 mm rather than 6 mm. It doesn't sound much but as the flow varies as the fourth power of the radius it actually results in less than one third of the flow. So we took it back on Saturday and got a credit note. We then had the problem that all the other taps were in sealed boxes so it wasn't possible to check the internal size of the flexibles with them. We did establish that the tap we had bought wasn't an update of our 10+ year old original but a Chinese copy. In the third shop we went to we found the real modern equivalent of the original and it was in a transparent package so I could see the size of the holes in the flexibles. Ironically it was also 7.90€ cheaper than the Chinese one. I plumbed it in and all was fine."

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Mon 23 Apr 2012 11:17

Completely reasonable. Well done!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by edmoraz • Tue 24 Apr 2012 10:27

Its all Chinese to me ! lol

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions