Designing a kitchen-Help!
by TournesolKate • Thu 25 Aug 2011 09:35

Hello kind people!

We have just signed the final papers and got the keys to our new (old) house! This is us ----> :egypt: :woot:

So now comes the hard part, interior design! First of all, we have to covert what is currently the garage into what will be the kitchen, we already have the maçons lined up to start in October, no problems there. BUT, what do I do once the kitchen space is ready? Is it better/cheaper to get all the units from the UK or is it easier to get them all over here? I honestly have no idea, I've had a browse through various sites online, but it's all so overwhelming and I'm very indecisive!
Any advice on kitchen design would be very much appreciated.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Re: Designing a kitchen-Help!
by smilespwp • Thu 25 Aug 2011 10:26

Here's a kitchen design planner (IKEA) that you could use to move units around and see what it would look like.

As most major kitchen units in UK (not sure about France without looking at a brico site) are fairly standard sizes Widths of 1000, 500, 400 ,300mm depths of 600, 300 mm and varying heights depending on floor standing, wall, appliance units. Then you shouldn't have too much trouble in designing your kitchen, as for suppliers, think I would check out what's available there before considering UK suppliers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Lynn • Thu 25 Aug 2011 10:28

I used that Ikea planner and found it very helpful, we actually bought our kitchen from them in France and it's been great. We did try some local companies for ideas but found they didn't have many! They almost wanted you to fit the kitchen around them, rather than the other way round!
Good luck
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Annik • Thu 25 Aug 2011 13:24

Do you have any means of bringing flat pack kitchen units over from England yourselves without incurring any extra expense, as in hiring a van?

We have fitted two kitchens in England in the last two or three years and have been pleased with B&Q and its prices. There always seems to be some sort of offer on, which means that you don't pay the full price.

On the other hand, Brico-Depot do kitchen units which, on the face of it (I am looking at a catalogue for 27 May 2011), look quite reasonable. French worktops seem to be more expensive than English ones, we have found. And in both countries, while the carcase units are usually cheap, the companies make their money by charging the earth for fittings like cornices, drawers, etc...

We kitted out our main kitchen here in France almost free by using lovely Wrighton units that our son had rejected in his recently-bought bungalow. The units in our back kitchen came from a generous friend who was bored with her kitchen and wanted to change it - the units were in mint condition. So it might be worth scanning the small ads in England to see if you could strike lucky with something nice but second-hand.

Good luck!

Annik

PS: Sorry - I was assuming, probably wrongly, that you are principally based in England.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Thu 25 Aug 2011 16:28

We got our kitchen from Castorama at Feytiat, which are of course part of the Kingfisher Group that B&Q is I believe. Quite reasonable considering there was no return trip to the UK to get an equivalent. The results were good, despite a little hiccup with a microwave oven. To be honest if you add the cost of a return trip to England to the prices, you won't save much.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Lynn • Thu 25 Aug 2011 20:02

Brico-depot carcasses are of a good quality, not so sure about the doors!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by TournesolKate • Thu 25 Aug 2011 21:35

Thanks for all the tips.
Annik, we are based in La Creuse, we have no property in England. We do have a small van, but taking enough time off work to go there and back is a problem.
I was looking at companies who bring the stuff over for you, but it looks expensive, so I think I'll forget that idea and just look here in France.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by alldown • Fri 26 Aug 2011 04:34

Hi Kate

We have 2 "sorts of kitchens" in our French house One is the utility room kitted out with the cheapest range from "Howdens" UK that can be bought and the other is a better quality range again from Howdens.

If you buy from the UK I think (and it is only my opinion) you will get something of quality for less money. Our french neighbours have been most impressed

You did ask whether to buy from the UK or France in your original post and I do realise that "delivery" from the UK can be steep.

It may be worth your while to look on the "Total France" site. People sometimes post "van space" adverts. If they are coming to your neck of the woods they will bring over your things for a healthy contribution towards their petrol costs (not a huge amount of money and very much cheaper than shipping goods from the UK).

Before he retired my husband owned and ran a small building contracting firm. He and his team refurbished flats and houses for Housing Associations local councils and Joe Public. Sometimes they gutted out whole properties back to basic brick. Replastering, decorating , fitting new floors etc but a great deal of work was gutting and replacing kitchens and bathrooms, and a great many of the people whose kitchen and bathrooms were up-dated were elderly Housing Association tenants who were overwhelmed to get such(in their belief) luxury. Stephen always used Howdens UK for quality and finishes (no we do not have shares:)

Stephen always dreaded fitting a kitchen had that had been purchased by the customer from IKEA The bags of "cutlery" were always wrong. If you needed 10 hinges and 50 special type screws you got maybe 50 hinges and 10 special type screws.

Please do not think I have a down on IKEA. Our house in France is furnished with nothing else and here in England we sit on Tomelilia (sp) sofas and have lots of bits and peices from IKEA but as for kitchens? It's a no.

You can get a design from any kitchen supplier as long as you send them a drawing of the measurments of your space. Check what they send back as I remember getting a drawing from MAGNET (behind Stephen's back It did look gorgeous)only to find that , although they had come to the house, they had designed the flue above the gas hob to go up into our bathroom instead of out of an external wall :down:
Good luck with whatever you decide on I am sure that you will love it xx

alldown
Sep 2005
by thetransporter • Fri 26 Aug 2011 11:20

We bought ours on Ebay, the listing has now gone, but there are similar offers, like this one:

CLICK HERE

There is a lot of 'rubbish' to search through, but we found just what we wanted, bought and delivered from Germany for under 410€! - 3 double & 1 single wall units, 3 double and one 4 draw base unit - with glass fronts on one of the wall units, and everything was excellent quality. (as pic in link)

Fitted in early 2009, not a blemish or a lose handle to date...very impressed, hope this helps

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by TournesolKate • Fri 26 Aug 2011 14:15

Thank you everyone.
I've been searching through every website I can think of all day and so far I haven't found a single kitchen that makes me think "yes, that's exactly what I want"! (it would help if I knew what I wanted)
Maybe I'll just search though the brocantes and buy lots of separate cupboards and bits and pieces. :lol:

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Lynn • Fri 26 Aug 2011 16:32

Very trendy to have an unfitted kitchen and probably more French! Best of luck.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by TournesolKate • Fri 26 Aug 2011 18:50

Actually Lynn, the more I think about it, the more I like that idea!
I quite like mismatched things.
I think we'll take a trip up to Emmaus soon.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Lynn • Fri 26 Aug 2011 19:07

There's a place near Riom, Clermont-Ferrand called Les Mains Ouvertes too, think they might only be open on Thurs and Sat pm but they're HUGE!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Leighngrae • Sat 27 Aug 2011 00:08

We bought a limed oak kitchen off ebay for £350.Plus oak dressers from auctions etc. If you are on a tight budget second hand is good value and you are helping to be green by recycling.Also Try troc at chateaurouxxxxx

Leighngrae
Apr 2007
by TournesolKate • Sat 27 Aug 2011 17:10

It looks like we're definitely going to go down the second hand route now. Not necessarily because of budget, but because I'm so indecisive (as I said) that I cannot decide what style of kitchen I'd like.
And yes, it's good to be green!
Thank you everyone for all your tips, you've been most helpful.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions