Re: Fosse Septique - its management?
by Creusebear • Thu 26 Apr 2012 21:41

We use a capful of antifreeze in the traps of the shower and sinks and in the toilet bowl after reading about it on a forum. I'm hoping in the quantities we use it will not affect the fosse too much. I don't empty the toilet bowl but always do a last flush after the water has been switched off.

So far we have been relatively lucky, but this time we lost the shower thermostatic mixer AGAIN.Even though we always take it off the wall and give it a good shake, it was split wide open. We are going to replace it with a simpler mixer which hopefully will be more resilient to low temps. I heard it went to -20!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Thu 26 Apr 2012 23:14

We put a piece of pipe insulation in the toilet bowls when we leave at the end of the autumn. If the water freezes it squeezes the pipe insulation and doesn't damage the ceramic bowl.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 26 Apr 2012 23:36

Wow - that's really clever! I shall try that.

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Fri 27 Apr 2012 00:04

The last winter as fierce as the last one was 85-86, the year after we bought our place, and the plumbing in our friend's house, where we stayed that spring, had sprung many leaks because of the cold--this inspired us to be scrupulous about draining our place in the fall ever since. We plan to return in a couple of weeks, and I've my fingers crossed, though I use a sponge and towel on all the toilets, and disconnect all the likely suspects.....we'll see.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by beetle • Fri 27 Apr 2012 12:08

Showers and sinks - I have made a note of that.

"The last flush"
That reminds me of the cautionary tale a colleague told me.
Their house in the coastal resort of Royanne is on the mains.
Just about to leave for the long drive back to the UK, they are late. Quick dash to the toilet and out of the door.
"Did you switch off the water dear? "No need we will be back at the end of the month"
The toilet valve has stuck open and continues to flush.
Next water bill was in excess of 1000 euro.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by pili-pala • Wed 20 Mar 2013 18:32

Hi there,

I need to have a septic tank emptied. Can anyone tell me what the title for the person who does this is? So that I can look them up in the yellow pages.

Also, has anyone had this done what sort of price will I be looking at?

Any help will be very useful.
Many thanks

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by blaudeix • Wed 20 Mar 2013 20:06

Easiest it to use the yellow pages, pagesjaunes.fr
put in your postcode & type in Vidange. When we have to use them we just go for the closest.

Cost? usually around 250euro, doesn't seem to matter too much on the size, it's the travelling that counts. If you don't know how big your fosse is it'd be worth asking the driver how much "stuff" he has sucked out.

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Annik • Wed 20 Mar 2013 20:40

When ours needed doing the Mairie checked around the commune and organised a communal "day" of emptying which cut the cost considerably for everyone. The vehicle that came to us was absolutely enormous but it had a long hose and was able to park towards the side of the house and put the hose up a high bank and then through a hedge into the back garden where the fosse is situated. It was all done very efficiently, with the guy operating the lorry's part of the procedure via remote control, as he bent over the open fosse. It was all done quite quickly.

I don't think it cost as much as 250€ – more like 180€. However, our fosse is only small, it must be said. It might be worth having a word at the Mairie to see if they recommend anyone in particular.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by pili-pala • Wed 20 Mar 2013 20:49

Many thanks to you both for your replies.
I have just checked the pages jaunes and found two in our area so I've emailled them to find out more details.
Annik- thanks for your advice about asking at the mairie, I shall bare it in mind.
Have a nice evening.

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by virtdave • Wed 20 Mar 2013 23:28

You should also check with your local mairie--in St-Georges-Nigremont, the commune has cut a deal with one of the companies doing this stuff, and the cost is noticably lower than the sticker price.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions