Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Log Burners and Chimney Lining
by Twiggy • Wed 26 Mar 2008 11:09
Good morning

I have begun a search for a reliable company to install a log burner and/or a flue lining for a chimney.

Can anyone recommend a good firm and also give me an idea of costs involved.

I have currently contacted two firms and for the same job I have been quoted 900 euros by one and 1700 euros by the other, so I am wondering which firm is being realistic with costs. :roll:

Rgs

Twiggy
Twiggy
Aug 2007
Re: log burners and chimney lining
by amandaandclint • Wed 26 Mar 2008 11:29
Hi Twiggy

Hope you are both ok. :D

We are looking into getting liners for our chimneys at the mo so I will pass on any good info I find.

Im also looking into attempting to fit the liners myself but Im still trawling the internet looking for 'do it yourself' lining advice - and I am still building up my confidence too :wink:

If anyone out there knows of a place where I could read up on installing these liners that would be great.

Clint
amandaandclint
Feb 2007
by rayh • Wed 26 Mar 2008 14:02
Hi Clint

I googled it and came up with the following link.

see ya soon :)

Ray
rayh
May 2007
by Jimbo1066 • Wed 26 Mar 2008 15:31
Hi we had one fitted a year ago,a large one,the firm did everything including a new base inside the old chimmney,& it cost 2800 euros,but we got 900 euros,back from the tax office.I don't know if you can give names out,if they delete this e-mail me,the firm is in Gueret,Cheers Jimbo:Giraud meubles
Jimbo1066
Jan 2008
by Annik • Thu 27 Mar 2008 11:33
Don't try to fit the liner yourself unless you have a very good head for heights. We innocently thought we could push our flexible liner up from the bottom as the cantou-type chimney in our kitchen is very wide, but it wasn't a good idea! The liner was like a big boa constrictor that got caught on bits of stone and was impossible to manipulate. Eventually we had some repair work done to the roof and asked the guy to drop the liner down the chimney - which is buttock-clenchingly high up and way beyond anywhere we could reach with a ladder. He did and the whole thing was done in about five minutes.

Good luck.

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by Annik • Thu 27 Mar 2008 11:43
PS: There was a bit of thin rope attached to the bottom of the stainless steel liner that was dropped down first and we used that to pull the liner down and guide it past any obstacles in the chimney.
Annik
Jun 2007
by chaillac1 • Tue 01 Apr 2008 21:32
You should look at Page 2 on this forum under wood burning stoves you will get all the information there the main issue will be on the quality of your liner
Chaillac 1
chaillac1
Dec 2005
by Dave • Tue 01 Apr 2008 22:26
You should look at Page 2 on this forum under wood burning stoves...
I think you mean this post.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by amandaandclint • Wed 02 Apr 2008 09:02
Morning

Thanks for all the advice.
I have a few more quotes to come in but it still might be a do it yourself job. It seems quite straight forward... except for the heights.

If you see a madmad dangling from a rope thats tied to a chimney stack near Domeyrot in the next few weeks, that could be me :lol:

clint
amandaandclint
Feb 2007
by Goose • Wed 02 Apr 2008 10:26
We had a woodburner fitted into our living room in January to replace our open fire. It was done by Fauconnet in Lavaveix sur Mines (next town from Ahun on the way to Aubusson on the D942). As previously mentioned, you can claim back 50% of the price of the actual fire from your next income tax bill. We thought this firm was reasonable, as obviously we paid for the fire and the full liner etc but they charged only 250 euros for the fitting. It took half a day.

We have since had the unexpected expense of having to source another woodburner (with a back-boiler this time) to replace the ancient one in our kitchen that gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. It was difficult to find one that that we could afford, but did so after trawling the 'net from a company in the UK called Ash Grove Stoves. The chap replied promptly, was very helpful, we selected the one we wanted (the same model was more expensive on other sites) and paid by UK cheque.

Delivery was promised within three days and it arrived on the third day and the delivery itself cost only £108 - which we found unbelievable as it was a very heavy (solid cast iron) item. We can highly recommend this firm. Terry fitted it himself - plumbing was a bit different from the old one and the chimney "pipe" (not very technical this bit but Terry is on his mower !!) had to be fitted with a join from one size to the existing one, but it all works and heats our seven radiators much better than the old one did.

If we can help in any way re more info, let us know and I'll make Terry reply to it!

Goose
Goose
Mar 2005
by thebiglad • Thu 03 Apr 2008 00:34
Hi Twiggy

Hope you are both ok. :D

We are looking into getting liners for our chimneys at the mo so I will pass on any good info I find.

Im also looking into attempting to fit the liners myself but Im still trawling the internet looking for 'do it yourself' lining advice - and I am still building up my confidence too :wink:

If anyone out there knows of a place where I could read up on installing these liners that would be great.

Clint
Hi Clint, I've done 4 now, piece of cake and a huge cost saving.

Pm me if you want more info,

Cheers
Dave
thebiglad
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions