Swimming Pool
by cmchsmjm • Mon 06 Aug 2018 09:34

Hello all,

what are your views regarding the value of installing a pool (above or in-ground) at a holiday home?

We currently spend 6 weeks during the Summer at our home and various additional weeks throughout the year. We trying to decide if a pool would be a good investment or potentially money down the drain.

Ultimately, as works winds down UK, the intention is to spend most if not all of the year at the house.

Any experiences, views you could share would be most welcome...

Cheers

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: Swimming Pool
by RobertArthur • Tue 07 Aug 2018 15:01

Not any experience at all I'm afraid. Opening my mailbox is an hourly routine: this morning an article by SystèmeD about swimming pools. About mr Taxman: your taxe foncière will go in the wrong direction for non-removable swimming pools. About maintenance: always work to do. About safety issues: even during your absence you will be responsible. About return on investment: crystal ball. Worst-case scenario: hard Brexit.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Tue 07 Aug 2018 21:36

We considered putting one in, but RobertArthur's comments are very spot-on. Also, if we get a cold winter, freezing can wreak havoc on anything with even a bit of dampness left. During the recent canicule, we've used an inexpensive plastic pool in our pasture--a few examples here. Not very elegant, and really just for cooling off on a hot day, not for swimming. When the weather cools off, we just empty it and put it out of the weather for the winter. You still have to add an anti-algae product, available in any big bricolage store. it's important to level the pool, easy with a few bags of sand and a tarp.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Ricardo • Sat 11 Aug 2018 23:13

I also considered a swimming pool this year, but was put in touch with reality by reading an article entitled 'Ten reasons for not having a pool' that I read on an English/French blog. Worth a read for anyone about to embark into the unknown.

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by charlie • Thu 16 Aug 2018 17:27

I bothered to read that article and found that it coincides with my thoughts from 17 years ago. I rejected the pool idea for very similar reasons including lack of funds. The author has had all the first hand experience and expresses the reasons against a pool very lucidly.
Even so, I have seen some very enticing pools this year in friends' gardens. The best was a low, covered one with sliding sections that allowed almost complete open air conditions when fully open and providing a secure, closed structure when closed. The owner said they used it for about seven months a year. I think he was not short of money but most of the downsides were still there.

charlie
Dec 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions