Coypu in the Creuse
by ihusker • Tue 12 May 2015 00:02

This evening, about 5pm I was driving from Peyrat le Chateau to Bourganeuf.
About 500 meters from Bourganeuf a large rat like animal slowly trundled across the road in front of me. On reaching home I checked on the internet and I'm sure it was a Coypu.
I have read of these being further south in the Dordogne but I didn't realize we had them in the Creuse. Just wondering if anyone else has seem them or am I mistaken,

ihusker
Feb 2006
Re: Coypu in the Creuse
by virtdave • Tue 12 May 2015 09:14

Several years ago a local farmer shot one near us in St-Georges-Nigremont and gave it to my friend Réné ...they're usually called ragondin here. We cleaned it and Réné's wife cooked it up. She declined to taste it, and we were away for that meal, but Réné claimed it was only mildly disgusting, tasting rather of mud. The animals were originally imported (from South America) for their fur, and are called nutria in North America. They're rather cute, but cause serious damage to river and pond banks with their burrowing, including in Creuse, and significantly in Brittany as well. I have seen one near Aubusson.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by rictel • Tue 12 May 2015 15:53

No you're not mistaken, there are many coypu here.

rictel
Dec 2007
by ihusker • Wed 13 May 2015 10:20

Ah, glad I wasn't seeing things. That's another tick on the "seen" list.

ihusker
Feb 2006
by Jeanne • Sat 16 May 2015 10:10

They are definitely everywhere in the Creuse and do a lot of damage. Friends had to shoot some dozen or more that were completely destroying their large pond a few years ago.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Dave • Tue 12 Jan 2016 16:50

We used to have a family of coypu in a nearby pond, but the last couple of years has seen the pond dry up completely each year and so they have moved on.

You can see a large family of them on the southern end of the Etang de Courtille on the D914 on the edge of Guéret. They are just a few meters away between the lake and the board walk. It's a lovely walk all the way around and there are a bunch of activities as well.

coypu.jpg
The picture isn't great because I took it with my phone but you can see several sizeable coypu happily munching on the grass (and it was fairly busy with people and dogs).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Wed 13 Jan 2016 22:01

Aww don't they look sweet! Until you get close and see those big yellow teeth!

Creusebear
May 2007
by patricksussex • Mon 01 Feb 2016 14:09

A few years back we were looking over the bridge at Pont a L'Eveque, just below Pionnat, watching what we thought might be an otter or beaver swimming up river. A river authority van tuned up with a guy and a girl to look at a tree washed up against the bridge. I asked what was the 'animal avec les cheveux' and the girl replied in best Liverpudlian accent 'its a coypu, mate'.

patricksussex
Dec 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions