Stone Martens
by jeanette • Sun 01 Jun 2014 14:25

Help.
I don't think this is a new subject but thought maybe someone may have found a way that works to get rid of these animals. It sounds like mice with giant clogs on on my roof each night doing the latest clog dance. We have got to get rid of the little dears as we have guests arriving in a few weeks .We are beginning to run out of ideas. The trouble is getting at them as they are between the roof slates and the plasterboard SOMEWHERE and there are several . Have got electronic impulse deterrent which is not living up to it's name. We have traps of all shapes and sizes baited with all sorts of delicacies. Old fashioned moth balls unable to get but I am afraid of any vapours getting into the house as I have a parrot and ourselves as I'm sure this can be harmful.

Does anyone know of an English speaking expect nearby who maybe able to help?

Why does the local animal population seem to like our house .I know I had a pet shop before moving here but we seem to have more than our fair share wasps, Loire, bats and now stone martens. The joys of country living
Do we have a sign somewhere that says ANIMAL BED AND BREAKFAST . :cry:

jeanette
Jun 2009
Re: stone Martens
by virtdave • Sun 01 Jun 2014 16:34

mothballs are available at any hardware store (boules anti-mites) but the fumes may indeed be harmful to your parrot. We had a squirrel invasion in our attic last year, and finally got a strobe light--the kind which used to be (maybe still are) used for techno-ambience in discotheques-- which we plugged in...the discharge seemed to be not so desirable for any electronics plugged in anywhere in the house....but the squirrels found the flashing unpleasant, and left....don't know if martens would be similarly discouraged, maybe they'd just invite all their buddies for a big party. I also did try trapping the varmints, and releasing them far far away. Worked for the dormice, but the squirrels were too clever. A neighboring farmer told us that a raw egg with some anchovy paste on the shell would work to nail some pests, they supposedly wouldn't tolerate the salt. It did seem to work on a rat musqué which was stinking up our cave.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by jeanette • Sun 01 Jun 2014 17:59

Idea sounds brilliant but our problem is how to get strobe light the same side as them . They are the far side so not sure how they would see it as we cannot get to the same side.

jeanette
Jun 2009
by dissid32 • Mon 02 Jun 2014 15:00

Quite an interesting question. My first thought was that mothballs can't be all that toxic, because I can remember as a child they were in all our wardrobes, though rather 'the mint with a hole shaped' than balls. However, researching into it a bit, I found that the napthaline mothballs are indeed considered to be toxic, and you probably can't buy them anymore. I think that the boules anti-mites, which virtdave says are available in any hardware store, probably aren't the old fashioned napthaline ones, but cedar or camphor or something else. You can also get them from Amazon.fr, but whether they are as an effective marten deterrent, I don't know. but there's no harm trying. Presumably you'd have to find, or make, a little hole so that you can get them into the cavity. That way, I shouldn't think there will be any danger to humans or parrots.
There used to be a lady who lived down the road, who has now gone back to Paris, who had the same problem, and she injected eggs with poison, but what poison and where she got it from I don't know.
The only other thing I can suggest is that you look for a pest control person in the Yellow Pages, or get a number from the Marie. Good luck!

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by jeanette • Mon 02 Jun 2014 15:43

:? :? I have read on line that they are protected so a bit wary about pest control person
Hubby slept in a car and tree LOL last night and left all lights on so he could see what was going on and only one showed up and moved quick as did not like light . MMMmmmmm tomorrow off to see if we can get a strobe light and attach to eaves outside . Good job we have No neighbours or they would think Local disco moved into village .
Tonight hubby outside again with no lights on but watching for them all coming out and then quickly turn lights on with the hope they stay out . He is stringing twinkly coloured Christmas lights along eaves as we speak (MY IDEA WHICH IS PROBABLY STUPID but worth a go
Local French will probably wonder what an earth is going on or think OH THE ENGLISH SO WIERD :?

jeanette
Jun 2009
by virtdave • Mon 02 Jun 2014 17:58

You could borrow mine, tho we're quite at the other end of Creuse from Boussac. I do go to the Felletin market almost every Friday, and if that interests you, I could pass it over then.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Stone Martens
by jeanette • Fri 13 Jun 2014 00:49

Quick update- Thank you for your help especially Virtdave .
I'm a bit wary but we seem to of cracked the situation with various different lights .Day 5 and no sign so fingers crossed
Even the dog must of got fed up as he gave chase to one which made the mistake of appearing on the terrace .I didn't think he had it in him

jeanette
Jun 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions