Mosquitoes
by LindaB • Mon 10 Mar 2014 18:51

Hi, I will shortly be moving to the area and was wondering if mosquitoes are a problem locally e.g. should I be putting up screens or plugging in repellents during the summer? I will be pretty close to a river. Best wishes and look forward to corresponding with you more in due course.

LindaB
Mar 2014
Re: Mosquitoes
by rictel • Mon 10 Mar 2014 21:06

Hi Linda & welcome. It's a good idea to put up nets on the windows & doors in the summer, not only for mozzies, but also for wasps & Frelons. You can get the nets from most Bricolage stores.

rictel
Dec 2007
by virtdave • Mon 10 Mar 2014 22:51

There can be insect issues in Creuse, partly depending on how near your place is to the nearest sheep (worst) or cattle (still can be a bit of a hassle). How you deal with it depends on whether you prefer screens or the doohickeys that plug into a socket and emit bug repellent. We use the (probably toxic) repellent option, plus flyswatters. French flyswatters are shockingly flimsy, we bring some Serious American ones with us. I also just bought one of these, very American too--will see if it works.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 11 Mar 2014 09:06

OMG. Let us know how you get on with the bug gun.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Creusebear • Wed 12 Mar 2014 21:35

Me too! You could start a Creusois franchise.
Back to the op: our house isn't close to water and we don't have a huge mozzie issue. We don't have nets on the windows but do use a plug-in in the bedroom. Tom is especially juicy to mozzies!

Creusebear
May 2007
by LindaB • Wed 12 Mar 2014 22:37

Thank you all for replying so quickly - I feel reassured that it won't be much of an issue!

LindaB
Mar 2014
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions