Wasp and hornet issue
by Siptea • Sun 29 Sep 2013 10:31

It seems that some wasps and hornets have set up a community in the spaces in our rock walls. They might also be in some attic spaces because they are tapping all night on the ceiling of our bedroom and keeping us awake.

We tried the spray but at this point there are far too many to kill. So I think they only thing to do is to get an exterminator. Can someone PM me the name of someone who speaks some English? It's going to be a bit complicated to explain in French. If worse comes to worse then please recommend someone who speaks only French but is reliable. We need someone who can come to our area, which is between Jarnages and Chenerailles.

And please don't suggest that I ask the mayor, I have asked her several things in the past and never got answers.

Thanks

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
Re: Wasp and hornet issue
by virtdave • Sun 29 Sep 2013 11:08

Generally, the fire department (sapeurs/pompiers) deal with this sort of thing, but it's not free. I've always had good luck with the long-range wasp spray, you should use it at dusk, when the bugs are back home.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Sun 29 Sep 2013 14:29

The firemen here don't do it, they said they only do it when they are in the chimneys. We used the spray from the ground, it reaches 6 meters according to the can, but they are really high up, around 4 floors up by the attic, so I'm not sure if it reached any.

How could I get it into the nest, that's the issue. We don't have a really long ladder plus I'd be nervous about my husband spraying right into the holes, even at dusk.

Barbi

Generally, the fire department (sapeurs/pompiers) deal with this sort of thing, but it's not free. I've always had good luck with the long-range wasp spray, you should use it at dusk, when the bugs are back home.
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
by edmoraz • Sun 29 Sep 2013 15:02

You dont have to spray into the nest just onto the nest, Can you not get closer from a window, we had one in the attic and we sprayed it twice, it did the trick. If you spray at night they are quet and unlikely to come out, thats what the bloke told us anyway. Good luck

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by kowalczy • Sun 29 Sep 2013 17:08

Why don't you just live with it, they will be gone in a week or two.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by virtdave • Sun 29 Sep 2013 17:17

They can, tho, cause some problems--some wasps built a surprisingly solid nest inside an electrically-controlled shutter at my place recently, and succeeded in jamming the motor.
Also, tho I've used the spray a few times very successfully to rid myself of wasps, I'm pretty sure my poodle had a worrisome (tho not permanently harmful) epileptic-like crisis related to its use once. It's prudent to keep your pets well away from the fumes for a few hours.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Sun 29 Sep 2013 20:08

We can't sleep, and we are exhausted, that's the problem. They make this rapping noise all night long, it's really loud, like a constant scratching and sounds like they're tap dancing or something. Also whatever they secrete is staining the white ceiling, there are dark spots there now where they are nesting in the floor in the attic. This noise went on for weeks until we realized how bad the infestation was, I thought it was mice but then thought it can't be that constant and in the same spot day and night, so then we saw them coming and going outside the house, into the cracks.

Why don't you just live with it, they will be gone in a week or two.
Said kowalczy

Siptea
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Mon 30 Sep 2013 00:20

To zing the nest, you might try listening near the ceiling for the loudest buzzing/scratching, and drill a small hole in the ceiling at that point, just big enough for a straw--then use the chemical warfare via the straw. A little putty could then be used to patch it up.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Mon 30 Sep 2013 08:44

My husband had the same idea - not to put a hole in the ceiling as it would always show due to the fact that there is patterned wallpaper, but to drill a little hole in the attic floor and spray some killer mousse foam there. I heard them still last night, but the activity was much less, maybe we are on to something.

Barbi

To zing the nest, you might try listening near the ceiling for the loudest buzzing/scratching, and drill a small hole in the ceiling at that point, just big enough for a straw--then use the chemical warfare via the straw. A little putty could then be used to patch it up.
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Pamski • Mon 30 Sep 2013 12:23

No solutions from me, I'm afraid, but a piece of info, just in case - hornets fly at night and, like moths, are attracted by light. I know this because four of them came into our living room last year, attracted by a sliver of light under the door - now covered up! Good luck. It sounds awful.

Pamski
Sep 2011
by Siptea • Thu 03 Oct 2013 21:13

Two big cans of spray directed at them ( 6 m range) and hubby drilled a couple holes in thye attic floor and put mousse in their nest and still they keep coming :( They are banging on the window right now to get to the light, it creeps me out.

They are scary and aggressive! You're right!

Siptea
Jul 2010
by ayerzee • Fri 04 Oct 2013 10:14

Hi Barbi, Seems like you are having a rough time of it.
I am not sure if you have access to the loft or if the site is inaccessible, however as the usual sprays are not having the desired effect I wonder if my suggestion may worth attempting.

I should admit now I have never tried this method but as these pests don't like the cold it may be worth a go!

There is a spray product used to freeze/release rusty locks/bolts which if sprayed into the nest may kill all the inhabitants, its untested but nothing else seems to be working so have a go. :idea:

I notice the product is available from Screwfix(uk) and is called "Arctic crack it shock release" spray, I am sure you will have a similar product available in France, also plumbers use a similar product to freeze live water pipes.

If you try this method please post the results here.

Ayerzee

ayerzee
Sep 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions