squirrels!(?)
by virtdave • Mon 23 Sep 2013 10:34

I think we have squirrels in our attic....at least, we've heard something scampering about up there, and I've seen one in the gutter just outside. I've tried trapping, no luck so far--the same trap did work a few years ago with a dormouse, which I then liberated 10km away from the house. After some googling, it seems that squirrels in attics can be quite a nuisance, and even if one does trap one, and sets it free far away, another squirrel is likely to notice the nice uninhabited potential nest. Does anyone have any ideas on squirrel eviction?

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: squirrels!(?)
by dissid32 • Mon 23 Sep 2013 19:53

Is it possible for you to make it impossible for it to get in? Actually I have a squirrel that scampers in my attic, but I've never found any damage. Yet!

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by virtdave • Mon 23 Sep 2013 22:21

I have looked about the attic, and can't quite see a certain way for them to get in, but they apparently can squeeze thru pretty small chinks. I once heard a Norway rat can winkle thru a hole the size of a ten centime coin. My current plan is to install a strobe light, which I have ordered. Maybe some loud disco music too? Another rumor has it that some small Norwegian town managed to discourage louts from hanging about the village commons by playing Bach and Mozart.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 24 Sep 2013 09:06

Think I'd rather have a bit of scampering than disco music. Actually I quite like the idea that he(she) is honouring the house with his(her) presence.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Dave • Tue 24 Sep 2013 10:30

This might be un fouine (a stone martin). They are fairly destructive and like to poop everywhere. Our neighbour has has some limited success with an electronic device for discouraging rats but they aren't put off easily.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by araucaria • Tue 24 Sep 2013 12:25

Moth balls as long as they contain napthalene.

araucaria
Jun 2005
by dissid32 • Tue 24 Sep 2013 14:29

Had visions after your last post of squirrels in tuxedos and ball gowns waltzing around to the sound of the music, while the strobe light played on them. Maybe I've been picking the wrong mushrooms?
A bit more seriously , in my house there are gaps between the top of the wall and the underside of the slates. Perhaps there are in your house too.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by virtdave • Mon 30 Sep 2013 12:43

For the past several nights, we've just been leaving the attic light on, and perhaps they've found it annoying enough that they've moved away....no scamper noises now. But I had already ordered a strobe light, which arrived today, and I plugged it in. If the attic light was irritating to them, the strobe light should be even more so. At least I find it so. Tonite I will see how it looks from outside, thru the little lucarne. We have no neighbors who are likely to see it, and I imagine it will be a first for Saint-Georges-Nigremont. But there was, amazingly, a disco club a number of years ago in Pontcharraud, just to the north of us, called the Barn's Club. So maybe the squirrels have been longing for the ambiance of that epoch.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dahean • Thu 03 Oct 2013 20:00

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loir_%28animal%29

Probably these little charmers......
You can buy special treatment if you need too.
Best bet is to place a couple of apples or the like in the attic and see if they have been munched the next day.
We have had these, although not destructive the smell of the faeces etc can be bad.

dahean
Jul 2008
by virtdave • Thu 03 Oct 2013 20:21

I did have a dormouse in the house a few years ago, but they're pretty easy to catch--since, as you note, they like fruit, baiting a trap with an apple did work. Since our neighbor did see a squirrel scampering about in the gutter a bit ago, I still think it is (well, was, they do seem to have left) squirrel(s).

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions