Rules regarding dogs in cars
by Leighngrae • Tue 25 Jun 2013 22:19

Does anyone know the rules regarding travelling with a dog in france in a French registered car. Does the dog have to be in a cage or is it sufficient to have the dogs in the luggage space at the back with a dog guard up. Also is it acceptable to have dog seat belts with the dogs on the back seat of the car. I have three small dogs who normally travel on the back seat.I can't find a definately answer anywhere. thanks for any help Leigh n Grae

Leighngrae
Apr 2007
Re: Rules regarding dogs in cars.
by virtdave • Wed 26 Jun 2013 00:19

Apparently there's no specific requirement in France regarding whether a dog must be restrained in a car. Look here for a complete discussion of the risks of having your pet in your car--particularly at "Que dit la l├ęgislation" on page 5. However, it's noted there that a cop can decide that your unrestrained dog may impede you from safe conduct of your vehicle, and nail you for it.
On a closely related issue, a recent study in the USA found a 100% failure rate in the dog harnesses they tested. Although I shouldn't, I let my dog free in the back seat. For its safety, and mine, I should really use a net between the doggy cabin and the front seat, or keep her in her crate. Since we do have a crate we must use for air travel back and forth to France, there's really no excuse for my laziness in this regard.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Rules regarding dogs in cars.
by Leighngrae • Wed 26 Jun 2013 01:05

Thank you for your advice in particular regarding the doggie seat belts, I have got those but don't use them and the dogs lie on the back seat.As I have three small dogs I might get a dog guard for the luggage space as my dogs are not use to cages. My sister was told by the breeder of her dog that it is law that the dog must be in a crate or cage. I admit that the way that we have been travelling with dogs probably isn't the safest. I'll be having a look around Halfords and pets at home tomorrow.

Leighngrae
Apr 2007
Re: Rules regarding dogs in cars
by Annik • Thu 27 Jun 2013 22:34

We have a Galaxy 7-seater people carrier and have taken the two back seats out. We have created a dog space there with a padded barrier and because my OH is an electronics wizard, a fresh air fan, too. We have had up to three dogs in there over the years but now it is just reserved for our remaining, large Red Collie, who loves it as his territory. We understand that it is OK under French regulations.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Rules regarding dogs in cars
by Leighngrae • Thu 27 Jun 2013 23:02

I have upgraded my dog seat belts now , as the cage to fit three dogs was enormous and wouldn't fit in the car.Might have a look at a net too .

Leighngrae
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions