Where can I buy some dog bones?
by Jeanne • Wed 10 Oct 2012 16:36

We brought back those lovely bones with marrow in them last time we went to UK but the dogs have pretty much got through the lot of them.
Have looked in Jardiland etc, all supermarkets to no avail. Tried Wanimo and Zooplus.

My daughter can send me some but it would be so much easier if I could find them here.

Anyone know of somewhere? I probably need 10 at least; thanks

Jeanne
Jun 2010
Re: DOG BONES; where can I buy some?
by Annik • Wed 10 Oct 2012 23:30

We were quite shocked to find that the type of big marrow bones that our butcher in England gives us free for the dogs with our weekly order of meat were at least a euro each in French supermarkets. I must admit I have never asked a French village butcher for any, though.

I don't patronise our local very good butchers in France because I just don't know what cuts to ask for. I must confess that I buy my meat "by eye". We buy quite a lot of vacuum-packed fresh meat from the vegetable wholesalers in Gueret because it is marked with the name of the farmer and the quality is excellent. The only disadvantage is that you tend to get a shelf-full of the same cut and don't have any choice.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Fri 12 Oct 2012 22:33

the vegetable wholesalers in Gueret
Where's that Annik?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Fri 12 Oct 2012 23:24

I couldn't remember the name when I wrote the post above, but it's Centrefrais23 in the Avenue Pasteur. They are excellent; we get all our non home-grown vegetables there and most of our meat. They were originally geared up as wholesalers to hotels and b&bs, but they soon discovered that there was a market for individuals and so you can buy fruit and vegetables in large boxes or by the kilogram.

It's all housed in a cold store, so make sure you take a warm outer garment or you'll get uncomfortably cold inside.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Where can I buy some dog bones?
by TournesolKate • Sat 13 Oct 2012 19:54

I occasionally buy raw marrow bones for my dog from Carrefour in Aubusson. They're not cheap though, so I don't get them often!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Creusebear • Sat 13 Oct 2012 20:50

Centrefrais23 in the Avenue Pasteur. They are excellent; we get all our non home-grown vegetables there and most of our meat.
Annik
Said Annik
Thanks for that Annik. We will definitely be checking this place on our next visit.

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions