Fleas
by lestroisours • Tue 10 Jul 2012 07:47

I note there was not previously a topic concerning fleas in particular. Is it just us or is there an apparent lack of efficacity of the anti flea treatments?

We have run the whole scheme of Vetinary recommended products like frontline, to the cheap and cheerful at the supermarket, but no matter how we treat our cats, the fleas keep coming within hours of the treatment. Our cats Dotte and Dashe get combed at least once a day, normally in the evening, but still end up scratching after a few hours.

We have fumigated the house, the carpets, the soft furnishings, the seams of the cushions, but still they come back. This year has been the worst. I suppose like the ticks, the moist atmosphere has been good for their breeding. I suppose it doesn't help that Dotte and Dashe have a boyfriend up at the farm we call "socks", a grey tabby with white legs who looks a bit untidy. He comes calling sometimes, but fortunately runs away when we approach. The farm dog patrols our garden too and she leaves little presents. She is always scratching. :roll:

One time the cats brought home piece-meal a family of loirs that were full of fleas, but that was last year and the plague was relatively shortlived.

What has been your regime and how succesful has it been, if at all?

lestroisours
Oct 2007
Re: Fleas
by Lynn • Tue 10 Jul 2012 21:22

We use Frontline and have never had a problem with our dog. I've no idea what to suggest at all. Hope you find a solution.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Wed 11 Jul 2012 01:37

My uncle claimed that fleas were the reason native Americans were nomadic--when the fleas got unsupportable, they'd burn their teepees and move on. I've no personal experience with this method.
I recently read that some of the stuff sold as Frontline is counterfeit...but if you're getting it from the vet, you can surely assume it's genuine. It does work fine on our dog.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Thu 12 Jul 2012 08:50

Frontline doesn't work on ours at all. We use Advantix or Fiprospot. We try not to use the same one too often as it seems to become less effective. They stock them at most pharmacists or you can buy them online at Wanimo or Zooplus.

If necessary we use Tiquanis Habitat for the house. Its expensive (23 Euros for a small spray can) but it does work. I buy that from the pharmacist as it is more expensive at our vets.

I think your cats friends are probably giving them the fleas as a gift. Good luck in getting rid of them.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by TournesolKate • Thu 12 Jul 2012 11:15

Have you tried flea collars? Frontline and similar products will kill the fleas, but only when they bite the animal, they don't stop the fleas from jumping on the animal in the first place. Whereas a decent flea collar should deter the fleas.
I had a friend who had tried everything but a flea collar with her Siamese, she was amazed when such a simple thing did the trick!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by pili-pala • Thu 12 Jul 2012 14:44

Ahh someone else with a flea problem, I thought that I was the only one with cats and a terrible flea and tick problem!
This is my second summer here, last year I used frontline on them and had no bother but this year it's a different story. I changed to Advanix (or something like that) but it only stopped the fleas and not the ticks plus with all the rain we've had and the cat being outside that did not work for long- certainly not 4 weeks more like 2. So I've now changed to Fiprospot, first dose worked well for the first month but the second dose has not. Check cat last night and he's covered in fleas again. So I've put on the dose again even though it's pretty close to the dose before.
I have to admit that I have never tried a collar, I was under the impression that it just keeps fleas away from the area closest to the collar? Can you use a collar and the spot on? I would think not but if anyone else has any info and I don't want to over load poor puss cat with chemicals.
Oh.... and flea shampoo is a total waste of time and money. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands to pick out all of the stunned fleas and that you cat loves water and does not move (all highly unlikely unless the said cat is dead!).
The joys of the Limousin fleas and ticks. :down:

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by Tiddles • Fri 13 Jul 2012 22:59

We had major problems with fleas on our cats and in the carpets when we were using Frontline, but after spraying the floors with household flea spray (Johnson's?) and switching to Advantage the cats are completely free of them, thank goodness!

Tiddles
Sep 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions