Amazing moles
by dissid32 • Thu 22 Mar 2012 08:13

I have just recently cleared the numerous molehills that were made in the, what might laughingly be called lawn, in front of the house. It's only about 15m x 10m, but I collected three barrowloads of soil. I find it rather amazing to think that the mole shifted all that soil through its tunnels with its really quite small hands, and in a relatively short space of time.
One often sees fields where there are masses of molehills. Quite remarkable little creatures, I think, even if they are a bloody nuisance.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Amazing moles
by edmoraz • Thu 22 Mar 2012 10:19

I have seen some huge mole hills by our house if they where in ratio to the mole our ones must be the size of badgers !

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by lestroisours • Thu 22 Mar 2012 13:55

I recently despatched one huge mole about 8" long that had tunnelled up from the meadow below our walls. (body count now 16 - Sorry folks, but they created problems for the cows, who can break ankles in the galleries.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by blaudeix • Thu 22 Mar 2012 19:51

you must tell us the best method of getting the little bl**d*rs, you are obviously a pro ;)

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by lestroisours • Thu 22 Mar 2012 21:02

How to deal with moles.
The best (in my view) pièges are scissor-like tines, welded to a bent spring steel plate. They are obtainable from farm shops like Agroserv, rather than the cheap sprung steel ones from briconautes. With a piece of wire loosely anchor the trip plate to one of the tines,so that in the event of a false trigger, you don't lose the it in the gallery soil.
Choose the latest mole hill and clear away the surface soil. With a spade, cut into the turf on three sides, and peel it back on the fourth uncut side. With a hand trowel, clear out the hole, and with a slim brick laying trowel find the two galleries that lead to and from the original mole hill and clean them out. (sometimes there are more galleries). Using two pièges, set them and place one in each gallery. With a stick anchor the back of the spring so that if the mole is particularly forceful, he can't push the trap out into your cleared hole. Relay the turf back over the hole. Check hourly for the first day, then when you can. If the trap goes off without the mole getting caught, odds on he'll be back. Simply clear out the affected gallery and reset the trap.
I'm sorry if this offends some people, but it's not a pleasant end. Most are caught around the middle and are suffocated, unable to breath. I will not tell you of the other ways as none are pleasant.

As an additional idea, rub the traps in soil before use, and use gloves, to avoid the mole getting your scent.

Catching them in a humane trap and transporting them away down the lane doesn't work as they find their way back, or another one moves in straight away. I like to think its the former, as it's amusing.

Normally solitary, they are very territorial, and even females do not tolerate males in their patch. They chase their young out as soon as they are able too.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by David_J • Fri 23 Mar 2012 09:40

I think the point in lest's penultimate sentence is the real truth here. Kill one and another moves in to the empty tunnels very quickly - it's hard work all that digging.
When we first moved here the commune had a moleman (woman actually!) who arrived and dropped a pellet (cyanide?) down every molehill on our 1 hectare of land. Next year central gov. said 'interdit'.
I poisoned and trapped but the best solution I EVER found was a 'repulsif' which did exactly that. It drove away today's mole and discouraged another from moving in. Guess what - after a year that too was 'interdit'.
Look to the fields at the side of most rural roads and what used to be clear terrain is now Mr Mole's adventure playground.
I do believe that the government will have to do something at some point as the central gov. mole free city buddists who have made these rules are out of touch with reality in the countryside.
I hope it won't be long before farmers are rioting about this.
David
aka grumpy old man

David_J
Aug 2006
by alldown • Fri 23 Mar 2012 12:21

HOW TO LAY A BEUTIFUL LAWN AND NOT HAVE MOLES

This doesn't work for lawns already laid but works every time for new lawns. Whether you are sowing grass seed or laying turf put chicken wire down first.

Seed will come through it, turf will root quite happily but beasties will give up after breaking a tooth or two :D

alldown
Sep 2005
by pourchevaux • Fri 27 Apr 2012 10:11

We've had amazing success with something called 'Le Detauper' from Gamm Vert. Its expensive but their claim of 100% success rate has been true for us :) Its a little explosive which is detonated by the mole pushing it so kills them instantly... as much as they're a blooming nuisance in our hay fields I can't bear to think of them suffering. Everytime I find them dead by the spent charge, not a mark on them, not curled up in agony, just blood round the nose/mouth so I guess the noise literally blows their brains. No hard labour required either, just clear away the molehill and put the explosive a little way down the tunnel (you don't have to worry about galleries) and lightly refill the tunnel with earth. Our fields are now mole-less BUT we still have a problem with the wretched 'rat-taupier' voles which are far far smarter. Any ideas on how to get these would be most welcome (not poison as we don't want to kill their natural predators buzzards/stoats/cats!)

pourchevaux
Jul 2009
by virtdave • Fri 27 Apr 2012 11:29

I think I've posted a while ago about my struggles with moles, and I've also used the Détaupeur with success. However, tho it does work for moles, it doesn't work for 'rat-moles'--voles--(rat-taupes), which are similar to the gophers we have in California. The Détaupeur company does sell a kit which does ,make their IED work for the rat-moles, with a slightly different trigger--instructions on how to tell the difference (the moles burrow just under the sod, and leave humped-up tunnels, the rat-moles have their tunnels deeper) are included. Some cats will stalk the critters, and we had a very devoted and effective cat in California, who would sit for hours by a gopher-hill.....of course, if you are blessed with such a cat, don't use poisons. I'm pretty sure the cyanide pellets are only sold to professionals, but perhaps some similar stuff is sold to the general public. The buried chicken-wire approach, though tedious, does work for raised beds and lawns, and surely is more evolved, Buddistically speaking.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by pourchevaux • Mon 30 Apr 2012 10:31

yes i've tried the 'detauper' kit especially for rat-taupes but they've outwitted those already, plus both horizontal and vertical spring traps. grrrrr!! our tonkinese cat is a superb hunter of these wretched voles but he's only one cat with 13 hectares to cover... and our siamese cat is a bit scared of them (they're quite big in both body&teeth!) if anyone knows of anyone that breeds stoats or weasels I'd be seriously interested in half a dozen pairs lol!!! :-D

pourchevaux
Jul 2009
by pourchevaux • Mon 30 Apr 2012 10:44

p.s. in the UK there's a product called 'phos-toxin' which creates a deadly gas chamber in the tunnels so the beastie dies underground and doesn't come to the surface to be eaten by your pets. but you have to go on a safety course and have a DEFRA holding licence to be able to buy it... and unfortunately its illegal to use it in France. interestingly the exact same voles (Arvicola Terrestris) are protected in the UK after being virtually wiped out (I wonder why!!!) not sure if they are in France but over here (in certain regions, which include the Auvergne&Cantal, some of them carry a particularly nasty tapeworm called alveolar echinococcosis which can be quite deadly to humans. So a top tip is: don't eat them! :down:

pourchevaux
Jul 2009
by lestroisours • Mon 30 Apr 2012 11:11

I don't think our charcuterie has got around to stocking them yet. Hmmm! Mole Burger and Chips. Mole-Rattatouie, or for the advanced chef, food mol(e)ds. :lol:

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Mon 30 Apr 2012 22:03

One thing to remember when setting any mole or vole trap is that these pests have a highly developed sense of smell. Wear gloves when setting them. I have had excellent results with the Détapeur, with the mole-rat trigger option for voles.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions