Pitter patter of tiny paws-Woof
by beetle • Sun 22 Jan 2012 14:49

She's a Cocker-Sheltie cross, who came to us by chance. Due to the previous owners marriage breakup, she was destined for the Dogs Home. However due to a chance meeting in a corridor the option of adopting her was given to us :-D . Four years previous our last much loved Springer died of cancer and the house has always felt empty ever since :( . Now we have a very affectionate young girl (dont like the correct term!) who so far has learnt from us how to play, what treats are, what to do and how to get them, by responding to commands. The only vice, if you can call it that! is getting over excited about going out for a walk (4x daily) :-D
Innoculations for her Pet Passport will soon be in hand. Twenty-three days later and she will be clear to travel with us to France. Thank heavens the Law changed this year. However here is the question (Yes its that old lazy Brit's one) do you know of an English speaking Vet near or in Aigurande. What do you ask for prior to UK return; how does that go in French? What does it cost at present? Any problems going via the Tunnel? As you can tell this is a new experience for us and we have a lot to learn.

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Pitter patter of tiny paws-Woof
by Isabel • Sun 22 Jan 2012 17:57

My non-French speaking in-laws visited the vet in Cluis & didn't have a problem. It's a new building on the left just before you reach Cluis (driving from Aigurande). Think they were charged about 43 euros for whatever was required.
At the Calais tunnel there are big paw print signs for pet passport (directing you to the right) just before the check in area. The instructions say to allow an extra hour but at peak time just after New Year, when we had to wait in a long queue, the in-laws got through just at the same time as us.
I don't have a dog so can't answer your other questions.
Hope that helps.

Isabel
Nov 2007
by Jeanne • Sun 22 Jan 2012 20:58

The vets at Sainte Severe speak English but you will find most vets do speak enough anyway. They are more often from Belgium than France.

Its a lot easier to leave the UK with a dog than returning. They don't really care much on the way out. They didn't check anything, we just drove straight through. We always travel the tunnel because then you have the pets with you and I hate ferries.

I am not sure of the requirements for the return now as we haven't taken ours back and have acquired more since being here.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by beetle • Sun 29 Jan 2012 20:28

Thanks for the info. The last thing we want to do is make a mistake, she means too much to us already.
I see now there has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject of the new requirements we will check and double check before leaving the UK. Thanks again for your replies.
For entertainment: Cats vs Dogs Aardman

If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by beetle • Sun 22 Apr 2012 21:47

Everything went well with our first ever trip abroad with our dog.
Well almost she did pickup five ticks and then only on one short walk across one field which did not have any stock in it.
Thanks to the post on ticks we were prepared Frontline killed them and the removal tool with a gentle twist removed the body.
We thought it best (just in case of emergencies) to find the vet in Aigurande which we did and there was no problem getting the Pet Passport completed.
At the channel tunnel we followed the paw signs which led us to a small car park. It was busy.
We joined the queue of dogs and owners.
Dogs surrounded by other dogs just want to introduce themselves, relieve themselves or pick a fight. One owner (dog not on a lead) was being dragged holding onto her her large dog's tail as it tried to follow another (they had just had a bit of a scrap) into the preliminary inspection tent. Another owner was informed it had not been 24 hours since the worm treatment so they could not travel. "Come back tomorrow; you can park overnight on Calais Plage - free of charge"
All was well with our documentation/microchip and details matched.
The first time you do these things is a challenge and a worry. Our only worry now will be THE QUEUE!

beetle
Dec 2007
by Lynn • Mon 23 Apr 2012 10:23

We travel with our dog on the tunnel and have never had a queue at all, it must depend on when you travel, we usually aim for around teatime, if that helps!!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Annik • Mon 23 Apr 2012 11:03

We have travelled through the Chunnel scores of times since 2000 with up to three dogs and never had to queue behind more than one other dog-owner. You must just have happened on a bad time. I shouldn't let it worry you!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by beetle • Wed 25 Apr 2012 13:28

I suppose we did choose a bad time, Saturday 18.30hrs
First holiday period after UK Government relaxed quarantine restrictions, also the chunnel was running late due to a checkin backlog.
It was a bit like entering a dog show I must admit, but the system worked well.
I do not have any statistics to quote, but Eurotunnel did confirm there was a significant increased number of pets in transit.
Time will tell if the 'Queue' becomes the norm.

beetle
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions