Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Return of the wolf
by Annik • Tue 06 Sep 2011 19:13
I was reading the BBC News website when I chanced upon this story about wolves in the Hautes Alpes. I know that's not the Creuse but the article is well-written and very interesting.

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Return of the wolf
by virtdave • Tue 06 Sep 2011 19:59
About ten years ago, someone opened a wolf zoo on the Aubusson/Guéret road. The local farmers were not amused--wolves apparently still have a resonance here in the collective memory, and the place no longer exists--I think it moved elsewhere. We visited it, and the wolves were quite impressive--I think I have a photo somewhere of my wife holding our poodle in her arms to get a good look--the poodle wasn't too worried, given the robust chainlink fence between her and the wolves.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Tue 06 Sep 2011 21:58
I think the Les Loups de Chabrières is worth a visit - a large selection of wolves in packs in large pens. These sort of places are normally pretty depressing, but this wasn't bad and I recommend it if you like wildlife parks or wolves (my brother in law is wolf mad, otherwise I'd never have gone, but in the end it was a good afternoon out). It one of the major visitor attractions in the Creuse.

Warning: website link has annoying music.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Annik • Tue 06 Sep 2011 23:26
We took two Australian friends some years ago to Chabrières and found it very interesting. We stood on the viewing stockade for ages at first and thought "What a swizz - not a wolf in sight!" then one of the grey rocks in front of us moved, and another, then another and we saw that a score of them were before of us totally camouflaged. When they were fed it was fascinating to see the "pecking order" of seniority.

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by TournesolKate • Wed 07 Sep 2011 15:37
Really interesting article Annik.

I absolutely love the Chabrières wolf park at Gueret, it's fascinating (if you like that sort of thing).
The first time I went was in early March, last year. It was so cold that the ground was frozen solid and there was a light snow falling, very atmospheric with the wolves howling in the background. I was with two friends and it was just us and one other visitor in the whole place. Since the staff were so quiet that day, we had our own personal guide who took us all around the park and the petting zoo, explaining all the work they do there. She even ran to find us when it was feeding time for the wolves, so we didn't miss it!
The second time I went was last July and the place was full to bursting with tourists (not that I've anything against tourists) which made it very difficult to get a good view of anything.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend going to see the wolves in the winter, but wrap up warm, it's freezing up there!
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions