Rat Problem
by edmoraz • Sun 06 Mar 2011 21:40

My sister in law has just sent me a text from her home in Cantal where she is on holiday and she has a problem with rats which she needs your advice with. She said there are two nests (according to a neighbour) in a bank at the bottom of her garden. She enjoys her gardening but now can not stand to go in the garden because of her rat phobia. What is the best way to eliminate this pest and ensuring they don't come back. Local knowledge I think is invaluable in cases like this.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: Rat Problem
by edmoraz • Sun 06 Mar 2011 22:18

It is just a holiday home so no chance of terriers but thanks for the reply.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 06 Mar 2011 22:42

I bet there is someone local with some terriers who would love a morning's sport. Perhaps the neighbour knows someone? Or else the Mairie? Rats are 'nuisibles' or vermin.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Lynn • Mon 07 Mar 2011 21:29

There is plenty of poison sold in the Brico, which is very effective! Just tell her to take care to put it under something so other animals don't take it.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by edmoraz • Tue 08 Mar 2011 08:25

Will cats etc take those tablet/block type poisons ?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by adz8192 • Tue 08 Mar 2011 09:11

I have found that if you put out poison and mice eat it, then the cat eats the mouse and then cat dies.So bit of a problem if there are cats about.

adz8192
Aug 2009
by edmoraz • Tue 08 Mar 2011 11:41

She put the blocks out and none have been taken although there are new holes, is it just a matter of being patient?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Lynn • Tue 08 Mar 2011 15:31

Is she sure they are rats? Could they be pine martens or polecats, for instance, I'm not sure if they would take rat poison? I think that usually rats take the poison quite quickly as it's tasty to them!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by edmoraz • Tue 08 Mar 2011 15:47

It was next doors gardener who told her she had 2 rats nests in the bank at the back of her garden. I believe there are about 40 holes going into the bank and new ones appearing over night. They range from 1 inch to 3 inches with the majority being 1 inch. I will try and get a photo.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Lynn • Tue 08 Mar 2011 15:50

Good grief, sounds as though they are very active! Rather her than me, :-(
1" sounds very small for a rat, I know they can squeeze through small places; when we had them, the holes were rather bigger! It also sounds as though there are a lot of them, so it will take some perseverance, I think! Good luck to her.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by edmoraz • Tue 08 Mar 2011 15:57

Having said that she has not seen anything and there are no droppings anywhere. I feel sorry for her as I know she will be fully stressed out.I will keep you informed of any developments.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by virtdave • Tue 08 Mar 2011 17:35

I read somewhere that a full-grown Norway rat can squeeze through a hold the size of an American nickel (about the same as a 5-centime euro piece). I have used poisons, which do work, but be cautious....even if you hide the poison from a pet, the dead rodent can be eaten and transmit the poison. This happened to our poodle once, she started peeing blood, and I'd been scrupulous about placing the poisoned bait. Luckily a quick shot of vitamin K reversed the bleeding. Here in California, the bird-huggers are very much against using rodent-control poisons, for this reason.....not that there's anything wrong with hugging birds.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by rayh • Tue 08 Mar 2011 20:52

we call them tree huggers

trees are a little easier to catch/hug :lol:

no wisdom to impart on the rats, I'm afraid

good luck!

"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
rayh
May 2007
by redburmese • Wed 09 Mar 2011 13:15

Iknow of a couple of situations where poison was used '2 dogs a number of cats and wild life that had eaten the dead mice and rats were killed 'not a nice way to die for anything so :roll: 'i would stick to going to the local marie they always know some one with some dogs who love ratting

redburmese
Aug 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions