Deterring foxes?
by TournesolKate • Sun 30 Jan 2011 13:52

I just rescued one of my chickens from the jaws of hungry fox. She has a broken toe and is in a bit of shock, but seems to be relatively unharmed. (I hope)

I did have the chickens wandering free around the garden, but since the fox attack this morning, I put up a fence round the side of the house and moved their little house in there. I do lock them up at night.

Does anybody have an idea for an inexpensive fox deterrent? My dog was fast asleep in the house at the time, so no help there!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Re: Deterring foxes?
by virtdave • Sun 30 Jan 2011 19:15

Our neighbors told us that when a fox snuck into their chicken coop, the dogs just ignored it. They claimed that the fox had chanté fleurette to the doggies and lulled them into compliance. If your beliefs permit hunting foxes, the president of the commune's hunting association would likely be happy to organise a foxhunt--that's how it's done in St.-Georges-Nigremont, anyhow.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by TournesolKate • Sun 30 Jan 2011 19:28

Well, that might work for getting rid of one fox. But I live in the countryside, surrounded by forests (as most of us do here in Creuse) and I would prefer to deter all the foxes from my very traumatised chookies.
Plus, I have two cats and I know that the hunters around here don't need any encouragement to shoot anything that moves!

Anybody else got any ideas?

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by alldown • Mon 31 Jan 2011 04:55

We have problems with foxes in Orpington Kent and I have been looking at ways to deter them. OK here is where I can look very silly (what's new I hear you ask)

I am about to try this but it has taken ages for my husband to agree to do it. Human hair and urine is supposed to be the answer. I am about to beg the local hairdresser for a large bag of hair and cajole all in this house to save up their wee and tip it around where we know the foxes are coming in.

Fortunately this is a long way from the house so I just hope that home will not smell like a badly kept public loo.

I'll let you know how it goes

alldown
Sep 2005
by TournesolKate • Mon 31 Jan 2011 08:41

Do you know, I had a vague memory of hearing that before , but I wasn't sure if I had imagined it!

Worth a try I suppose, I was planning to get my hair cut this week anyway.

Thank you.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by adey • Sat 12 Feb 2011 23:26

I think its supposed to be male urine, as the foxes don't like the pheromones.
I usually take the necessary steps when I go out to lock them up at night.
So far so good.

adey
Aug 2009
by TournesolKate • Thu 17 Feb 2011 18:50

Well, the pee pee seems to have done the trick! Not mine though, it's a bit easier for my other half to go relieving himself about the garden than it is for me!

Virtdave, Fantastic Mr. Fox certainly did make it over here, it's based on the Roald Dahl book, which was one of my favourites as a child. In fact I had a whole book shelf full of his stories.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by alldown • Fri 08 Jun 2012 14:32

Just to remind peeople of how to deter foxes.

Here in Orpington Kent they have started to bark at night and they drive our 2 westies mad so we have just started our yearly deterrent.

This is not a joke and it really does work ...Human hair and male urine!!

Collect hair cuttings from you hairdresser,and put into an old nylon tight or stocking foot. Get the man of the house to (discreetly) wee in the garden and hey presto! No foxes.

Apparently the hormones in male urine works better on foxes than female hormones.

Good luck Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions