Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Delay in Visit So Bought New Puppy
by alldown • Fri 14 Jan 2011 05:41
Unfortunately we will not be able to return to France for a few months as my husband has to undergo intensive medical treatment.

This means that we can get another dog have it rabies jabbed etc. and then puppy and husband will be ready to travel at about the same time.

Another Westie will be joining us at the end of January. She will be called Anya (a play on Montagne) and hopefully be welcomed by Echo (Ecosse).

Our Westie loves other dogs when they visit we just hope she feels the same way when she realises "it aint goin' home" Gill
alldown
Sep 2005
Re: Delay in Visit So Bought New Puppy
by Annik • Fri 14 Jan 2011 14:33
We are so very sorry to hear about the intensive medical treatment and hope that it will prove to be successful. We look forward to seeing you both, plus TWO dogs, later in the year. Meanwhile, good luck!

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Fri 14 Jan 2011 19:57
Need photos of new puppy so we can go ahhh! :)
Creusebear
May 2007
by kimosabi • Fri 14 Jan 2011 23:29
:( sorry to hear stephen is not well and look forward to seeing you all later in year
kimosabi
Jul 2010
by alldown • Mon 31 Jan 2011 05:16
Puppy now bought. Echo has not welcomed Anya and we had all forgotten just how much puppies yelp all night. Hence me being up a this time. Debating whether to

a)take puppy back

b)let Echo shut puppy up (blood bath methinks)

c)drop puppy in nearest canal

or d)put up with it until puppy works out that quiet nights are good and if you are less greedy and less demanding Echo will be kinder.

Hmmmm YES of course it is going to be D
alldown
Sep 2005
by TournesolKate • Mon 31 Jan 2011 08:44
You have my sympathies, puppies are such hard work, but they're so worth it in the end.
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Jeanne • Mon 31 Jan 2011 09:06
LOL. I just know so much how you feel!

Except my problems are not with puppies but me being far too much of a softee. Have two ex hunt dogs with no brains. A staffie/springer cross who is great and now a rescued GSD. Problem - couldn't get them booked in the vets till Tuesday to get GSD castrated and small hunt dog neutered! Hence my life is hell at the moment trying to keep them all apart. Tried everything so still have another 48 hours to go, if my sanity can last that long. Groans. Why I am so stupid?
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Annik • Mon 31 Jan 2011 10:26
The pup must be missing its mother and family, especially at night. I must confess that when we have had small pups we have taken them up into our bedroom at night (not on the bed) so that they don't feel abandoned. They have been near enough to the bed to get a little stroke if they woke up and cried.

I realise this may not be possible if Stephen is ill.

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Zebedee • Tue 01 Feb 2011 16:23
If puppy is still upset at night, try popping a 'ticking' clock close to or under her blanket. It is supposed to mimic the mother's heartbeat and calm them. Failing that, go with the soppy rest of us who have them in the bedroom!!!

PS my cousin who bred gun dogs, used to slap the closed door whenever they cried behind it. He explained it was like the door was telling them off, not him. It DID work, but depends on how soft you feel about them crying.............
Zebedee
Jul 2008
by alldown • Mon 21 Feb 2011 02:38
Update on Devil Dog

Although we call her Anya her KC name is Courageous Cutie. Well she certainly lives up to that!

She no longer yelps at night (it only lasted a couple of nights)but she is a very funny nightmare. She stalks our 2 year old Westie then jumps on her and hangs onto her upper lip/muzzle with those sharp little needle teeth. Echo still turns on her now and again, but is just as likely to be snuggled up with her on the huge doggie mattress we bought from Auchan some time ago. Not that there is a great deal of room on the mattress (believe me it would sleep a couple of collie sized dogs and these are only Westies)as the puppy collects every toy she can find and "takes them to bed"

The tolerance from the older dog is getting better but we would not leave them alone

We were very lucky with Echo as she was clean very quickly. This little devil dog :twisted: trots out right in front of you and very proudly squats. The usual stern rebuke and put on the pee pee mat seems to do no good at all Anybody know were I can buy tiny puppy diapers :) Gill
alldown
Sep 2005
by virtdave • Mon 21 Feb 2011 07:08
The first time we took our poodle on a transatlantic flight, she was only barely trained, and we did outfit her with doggie diapers (aka nappies for those who don't speak Amerricun). They had a hole for the tail. The puppy and we were so much the object of fun in the airport that we only used them once....but they do exist. And in dozens of such flights since, our dogs have never fouled their crates, despite the 12 hours it takes from California to Paris on a non-stop.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Mon 21 Feb 2011 10:52
Our elderly Collie-cross bitch became incontinent right at the end of her life (while we were in France) and someone suggested dog nappies. We couldn't find any so we decided to buy some baby nappies to see if we could adapt them. We were too mean to buy a big packet in case they didn't fit so we bought a sample package for 2 euros. Unfortnuately they were newborn baby size and we couldn't get them to do up. The dog was so offended that we never actually pursued the idea any further! She died a couple of months later.

I think the only thing to do with Anya is persevere with the training. If you put her in nappies she will never get the idea.

As for the hanging from the lip, I seem to remember that our very tiny Collie-cross pups doing this to their Irish Setter honorary "Aunty".

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by zephyrsailor • Thu 23 Jun 2011 15:58
you can buy dog "nappies" but there are meant for when bitches are on heat, i have seen them in jardiland.
zephyrsailor
Jun 2011
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions