Re: ticks!
by alldown • Fri 25 Jun 2010 12:01

Hi David

I remember your advice regarding garlic but then I read a couple of articles stating that garlic can be toxic to dogs. As our Westie already has alergy problems I don't want to take a chance. But thanks for your help

Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by virtdave • Sun 27 Jun 2010 13:33

I've been away a couple of days, and the tick-parts-left-in problem may have resolved by now. But I wouldn't try too hard to get the tick's jaws/head out. The jaws have little barbs in them, and digging them out probably causes more trauma (psychic as well as physical) than it's worth. Just clean the area with soap and water (or Betadine if you have it, it's sold over the counter in pharmacies) and keep an eye on the area for infection, which is unlikely. What usually happens is that the dog's (or human's) body reacts a bit, and a lumpy scar may develop, which takes a long time to resolve, but this is not dangerous. The bad stuff in ticks is in the mid-gut, not the jaws or head ==which is why it's disrecommended to squeeze the tick when removing it. As several have noted previously, the easiest tick-removal tool is a Tire-Tic, sold in most pharmacies--be sure to get the prongs of this as close to the skin as possible, you can usually remove the whole tick this way. The instructions say to twist the device (? counter-clockwise?) when pulling, and some have said this works better, but I usually just pull firmly but slowly without twisting, and very rarely do I find that the tick breaks.
Garlic does contain some stuff which is toxic to cats, and to a lesser extent, dogs. You can google it to see.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Sun 27 Jun 2010 17:06

Thank you very much - that is all very useful information. Our collie Barney has just had three ticks removed in one day and is not quite himself. He is only young and a headlong gallop through long grass is his idea of heaven. (Along with wading through any water he can find.)

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by alldown • Thu 01 Jul 2010 10:27

Thank you to everbody for your replies. Our little monster is back to her usual pain in the backside self. She does still have a small lump where the tick was but the actual tick seems to be gone. I think we worried about the tick far more than she did.

She has now thrown up a half digested geko! Ain't dogs great :?

Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by Jeanne • Thu 01 Jul 2010 12:32

The English shop at Aubusson I have found to do the best price for Frontline Combo.

Does anyone know if there is any way of treating the terrain to get rid of them? Reason I ask is that we have just bought a renovation and took the dogs yesterday and they only went in a really tiny part because they were on leads and they came back with ticks. I know you can't avoid them but I really hate them with a vengeance and with 3 cats and 3 dogs it costs a fortune to keep them away.

We are moving in a few weeks and we will keep the grass (and weeds atm) short, but not sure if that will be enough.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Thu 01 Jul 2010 13:25

I may have indicated in an earlier post that the only sure way to rid one's pasture of ticks is probably Agent Orange. But I'm open to other suggestions.

You can reduce the amount you spend on Frontline by buying the Huge Dog Size--surprisingly, it's only a tiny bit more expensive than the Medium size, and one vial is enough for three treatments for my Medium size dog--you just have to store the vial upright so as not to spill it--or of course, if you have three Medium dogs, one Huge-size vial will service all three. If you've got Huge Dogs, you're stuck....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Thu 01 Jul 2010 17:16

Thanks, yes, two of the three are Huge Dog size. My third dog adopted us this year and is a small pointer size.

So, I can't avoid the cost. Hopefully once it is kept short they may stay away. Just hate the little buggers.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Dave • Thu 01 Jul 2010 18:41

Keeping the grass short will certainly reduce the the number of ticks dramatically, all but eradicating them. They prefer to hang about on the stalks of long grass waiting for animals to brush past.

After walking down an overgrown trail with our dog last year where the grass was thick and about 50cm high, we found 31 ticks (30 loose and 1 attached). Luckily our dog is almost white so you soon get a eye for "moving dirt" in the fur. We are in the habit of checking him after each walk, so often get them before they bite.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by alldown • Thu 01 Jul 2010 20:19

OK Dave your dog wins 31 ticks makes our worry about the odd one or two pathetic :lol:

alldown
Sep 2005
by Jeanne • Thu 01 Jul 2010 23:25

I get the most sadistic pleasure out of picking them off and putting them in an ashtray and making them explode :lol: :lol:

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Annik • Fri 02 Jul 2010 00:07

We are always amazed by the amount of blood they contain. Our collie got one off himself last week and our (non-doggy) visitors suddenly said "Your dog has hurt himself, he's bleeding all over the rug!" But it was just a burst tick. We usually make sure they are dead then put them in a piece of lavatory paper and flush them down the loo.

As for sadism,we pick Colorado beetles off our potatoes with a pair of tweezers and then drop them into a small pot of insecticide to drown. Squidging them with your fingers is too gross...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Lynn • Fri 02 Jul 2010 10:20

I have resorted to salty baths for our slugs and snails, it works very well, they're not much good at swimming!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Fri 02 Jul 2010 12:28

Beer is traditional for slugs. It does seem to attract and drown them. And I do get a similar sadistic thrill by flushing the dratted ticks down the loo, killing them first is too good for them.
Our friend here claims that white dogs tend to attract more ticks than black ones.....certainly when we walk with her, her white dog does get a lot more of them than our blackish one....but she is too cheap to spring for Roundup (well, she is Swiss), so it's not a fair comparison.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Ticks!
by zephyrsailor • Wed 27 Jul 2011 20:49

frontline seem to work for about 2 days on my dog.... we get tick frequently from running around in woodland or long grass.... i usually get them off him before they attach but he gets the odd ones that attach, i check him so much for them i've only ever had one swell up on him. once i finish the packet of frontline i have i will probably not bother anymore it is so ineffective.

zephyrsailor
Jun 2011
by Annik • Thu 28 Jul 2011 00:37

Frontline kills them once they are attached but it doesn't stop them attaching.

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by zephyrsailor • Thu 28 Jul 2011 15:18

i know how it should work... but it doesn't....

zephyrsailor
Jun 2011
by Jeanne • Tue 02 Aug 2011 11:38

I am not sure that flushing them down the toilet kills the tics.

I usually get them off the dog and put them in water while I get matches to burn them and when I get them out of the water, even if they have sunk to put them on the end of the match they start moving. I like to make sure they are definitely dead LOL.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by edmoraz • Sat 14 May 2016 18:22

Ticks seem very bad at the moment, we frontline our dog every four weeks but she still gets at least two ticks a week. I believe advantx is a better treatment and only available from the vet has anyone used it.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions