Ticks!
by Becca • Thu 15 Apr 2010 20:14

hi just wondering if there's anything we can put down in the garden to stop the ticks coming?! a killer or something that's not toxic to animals please?! we've had 3 over the last couple of years but it drives u mad having to check all the time!!! :x
other wise we'll have to bring something over from UK or put herb plants down as I've been looking them up and there are some which can deter them! hope u can help! Becca

Becca
Apr 2008
Re: ticks!
by virtdave • Thu 15 Apr 2010 21:42

I don't think there's anything other than napalm which will reliably destroy ticks in your yard. But since we started using Frontline on our dogs, we've had no serious problems on them.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Becca • Fri 16 Apr 2010 14:15

ok thanks!where do u get that from?!

Becca
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Fri 16 Apr 2010 17:57

I actually get mine on line, from this place, it's cheaper than in pharmacies (chemists?)--Don't know what their policy is on sending out of the USA. I buy the biggest size and use a third per application on my half-big-dog-sized dog, which also saves a bit of money. It's sold over the counter in France and in the USA, dunno about the UK.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Fri 16 Apr 2010 23:34

You can get Frontline in ordinary UK chemists nowadays - but it isn't cheap wherever you buy it. We stock up in England because of the exchange rate which makes it very dear over here in France.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Goose • Sat 17 Apr 2010 09:53

We use frontline Combo which protects against most nasties. Although a tick can still get onto your animal, it does die from the chemical in the animal's blood-stream - so you do still have to look for them I'm afraid, but they are easy enough to find by massaging your animal - which our dog loves anyway, then twist any offender out with those little twisters that you can get from any pharmacie.

Goose
Mar 2005
by Lynn • Sat 17 Apr 2010 20:45

You can buy Frontline here in France at the brico or a garden centre usually.
The ticks like long grass so you may be able to reduce the number by mowing or by keeping your dog out of the long grass...note, I said MAY, lol.
Good luck.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Goose • Sat 17 Apr 2010 22:51

Re the twister things to remove ticks, I meant you can buy them from any vet (not pharmacie - though they may have them too) but also lots of other places where pet items are sold.

Good point, Lynn - ticks love long grass and they climb up each morning and wave their little arms about waiting for some living creature to come along so they can hitch a meal and a ride. If unlucky, they go back into the depths again at night until next day. They can live like this without finding a host for about six weeks or more before dying. (I read this somewhere ages ago). Almost makes you feel sorry for them - but not quite!

Goose
Mar 2005
by virtdave • Sun 18 Apr 2010 02:22

Depending on the species, ticks can even live longer, up to a year. Apparently, carbon dioxide (as in the breath of a passing person, or dog) alerts them to the likelihood of a tasty meal, and they drop on the next guest to pass. Here in California, they favor shrubs, and carry lots of nasty diseases, of which Lyme disease (named I believe after a town in the state of Connecticut) is only one.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by alldown • Mon 19 Apr 2010 02:32

VIRTDAVE is absolutely right Lyme is in Conecticut It has over 2000 people and was named after Lyme's disease.

alldown
Sep 2005
by alldown • Mon 19 Apr 2010 02:37

We used to use frontline and then discovered that our dog was fond of eating slugs and snails (lung worm hazards) so we changed to Advocate.

Does anybody know if Advocate is effective for discouraging ticks as well as fleas?

alldown
Sep 2005
by Goose • Mon 19 Apr 2010 07:21

Our vet suggested advocate when our dog had a harvest mite allergic skin reaction in late summer a couple of years ago. We used it for three months but changed back to frontline Combo as Spring approached as the vet had said it didn't protect against ticks. Fortunately he hasn't had that same problem since.

Goose
Mar 2005
by jumac • Thu 06 May 2010 18:30

I buy my Frontline from Vet-medic.co.uk. Its very reasonable. I start in March and generally finish in November, all depending on how warm it is. I buy a tic-tir from the local pharmacy for twisting out the little blighters!

jumac
Jul 2005
by virtdave • Thu 06 May 2010 19:07

As a follow-up to my post above, here is a link to give you the willies about all the nasty diseases ticks can carry. In the region we live in, in California, only 1% of ticks carry the borrelia responsible for Lyme disease--and the tick must be on for over 24 hours to transmit it. The tic-tir is an excellent device for their removal, since it doesn't crush the tick, which could squirt the offending borrelia into the victim. There's an impressive amount of mis-information about Lyme disease, and the diagnosis can be really difficult. A vaccine for humans was proposed a few years ago, but is no longer (at least in the USA) distributed, since it seemed to cause more problems than it solved. I understand there's one for dogs, but I don't know much about it. If you do get a tick which has been attached for a while, a study in a good medical journal some years ago indicated that a single dose of doxycycline 200mg. is as effective as the often-recommended three week course in preventing Lyme disease.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Mon 10 May 2010 21:22

I found this link on another forum - it is a very sobering as well as informative couple of short films on ticks and Lime's disease. Well worth 10 mins of your time to watch if you are not familiar with the potential dangers.

Ticks and Lime's Disease

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Mon 10 May 2010 22:00

The linked films are quite good--the first one somewhat overstates the risks--the second one combines an eye-catching horror movie intro followed by a calm and informed discussion of ticks and Lyme disease. The physician in that second film recommends fine tweezers for tick removal rather than the Tir-Tic....for home use, I'd recommend the Tir-Tic, since most tweezers are a bit too coarse to avoid crushing the tick, which one doesn't want. If you do use tweezers, make real sure the tick is grasped as high up on its "neck" as possible.

I've personally been pestered by two ticks in the past month (tho I'm still in California, where the ticks are different species, but with similar characteristics). I've been bitten enough that I've developed an almost immediate bee-sting type reaction, useful for its warning and quite uncomfortable. Although these stings cause me noticeable local swelling and redness, they're not the more delayed skin reaction associated with Lyme disease, which is rarely itchy, and typically not painful--have an expert look at it if you're unsure.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by alldown • Thu 24 Jun 2010 20:15

Our Westie has managed to pick up another tick. The first came clean away with the tick hook, but unfortunately the second one was on the soft part of her tummy, near her groin. She jumped through the roof when we twisted the thing out and some of it is left in there.

Has anybody any idea how to deal with this? We have put antiseptic on it but do not know what else to do.

Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by Jeanne • Fri 25 Jun 2010 06:24

We have found the pharmacies have been cheapest here for Frontline Combo. It is better if you don't constantly use the same product. There are other ones such as Prac-Tic. Another one is Advantix.

If you don't have cats there is a scalibor collar you can get which deters them from getting on them in the first place (but the chemical is lethal for cats). :cry:

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Annik • Fri 25 Jun 2010 09:00

When our Jack Russsell got a tick in the corner of her eye and wouldn't let us get near it, the vet at Chenerailles took it out with no charge. However I am sure Virtdave would be able to advise you whether any further action is necessary to remove the tick's jaws.

I think I would keep a close eye on the dog for signs of illness (give her our love!) and apply lots of antiseptic to the bite site.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by David_J • Fri 25 Jun 2010 11:36

I've posted this before but it's worth repeating - IF you can get your animal to eat garlic then the tics won't stay attached. They don't like the trace of garlic in the bloodstream. Maybe the old folklore about garlic being good protection from bloodsuckers (e.g. vampires) has some validity.
Frontline Combo doesn't work on my tic magnet of a cat and not does some similar stuff I bought at Carrefour imaginatively called 'Pipette Insectifuge - special puces et tiques'.
An aerosol spray called Tiquanis is the only thing that works but now the cat leaves town when any spray can (flies, polish) is reached for.
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions