Re: Les Oiseaux dans la Creuse
by dissid32 • Mon 09 Feb 2009 18:39

Thanks for that TournesolKate. I think I've only seen a male so far, but now that I know the difference between male and female I'll keep a lookout.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Ann-et-Steve • Mon 09 Feb 2009 20:33

Hi TournesolKate,

The male Bullfinch is a great looking bird, and they do love the new buds on trees. But their favourite is the new flower buds on friut trees, so they are not popular with friut tree growers.

Regarding the Woodpeckers mentioned, it's worth checking the Great Spotted against the Middle Spotted, and the same applies to the Green against the Grey-headed. The two new ones I've mentioned are not British birds, but they are resident in La Creuse.

The one I am waiting to see is the Black Woodpecker - any news anyone?

Steve.

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by Ann-et-Steve • Mon 09 Feb 2009 20:34

Hi TournesolKate,

The male Bullfinch is a great looking bird, and they do love the new buds on trees. But their favourite is the new flower buds on friut trees, so they are not popular with friut tree growers.

Regarding the Woodpeckers mentioned, it's worth checking the Great Spotted against the Middle Spotted, and the same applies to the Green against the Grey-headed. The two new ones I've mentioned are not British birds, but they are resident in La Creuse.

The one I am waiting to see is the Black Woodpecker - any news anyone?

Steve.

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by TournesolKate • Tue 10 Feb 2009 13:09

Thanks for that Steve.

I didn't know that about the great and middle spotted woodpeckers, very interesting.
I have checked and they're definately great spotted woodpeckers. I can tell by the markings on their heads and the bright red feathers on their rears.
The middle spotteds seem to have a more mottled red and less head markings. (I'm quite a new bird spotter though, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

I can't be so sure about the "green woodpeckers" though, I've only seen them once. I'll keep a lookout and try to get some pictures.

I haven't seen the black woodpecker yet either....

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by TournesolKate • Fri 13 Feb 2009 10:40

Another addition to the garden..
CHAFFINCH ~ PINSON DES ARBRES.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Sallyd • Sun 15 Feb 2009 21:02

There's a singposted woods on the road near Chatelus le Marcheix where you can see Black Woodpeckers, I've seen the hole they have made in the trees but not the bird! A work in progress. There is also a bat and otter hide,well worth a visit.
Last year we saw Swallows flying over the etang in our hamlet at Poulignat in mid march (although our elderly neighbour next door did not believe me). I have the photo's of them catching bugs and there is snow on the edge of the water!
Will be over in mid March again, with my eyes wide open.

Make it happen!
Sallyd
Aug 2006
by TournesolKate • Mon 23 Mar 2009 11:38

I have just seen a GOLDFINCH ~ CHARDONNERET ÉLÉGANT, So pretty and what a beautiful name in french!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Ann-et-Steve • Tue 24 Mar 2009 11:45

Hi Sallyd,

Thanks for the information about the Black Woodpeckers, if we have an opportunity to visit that area we will keep our eyes and hears open for them.

Just had a txt from our French neighbours informing us that the first of the Swallows have arrived, along with a few Black Redstarts. Cannot wait to get over during the Easter break.

Steve.

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by carpinmike1 • Tue 24 Mar 2009 20:11

Hi
Look out for the goldfinches when your runner beans are in flower. Whilst admiring them flying in and out of the veggie garden, my wife and I took a stroll around the back only to discover that they had eaten all of the top level of runner bean flowers! Beans are now netted!
I have recently whitnessed a group of 8-9 Red kites flying around a field, occassionally landing, what a sight! 5 days earlier I saw 3 sanglier not 50m from the roadside, just trotting along as Sangliers do! That's the first I've seen of them in nearly 5 years living here.

carpinmike1
Jun 2007
by TournesolKate • Wed 25 Mar 2009 10:02

Thanks for tip on the goldfinches, I'll keep an eye on them...

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Sallyd • Mon 30 Mar 2009 09:57

The wonders of the Creuse eh?
We were over for a couple of weeks recently and I saw the first swallow on 16th March, over the next couple of days there were lots of them, all twittering away happily. I too have seen the Redstarts and Chif Chaffs. The Etang de Landes (Lussat) is a really good place to watch birds. Last March we saw an Osprey there. You'll see quite all types of birds there in huge abundance!
There seem to be a lot of deer around at the moment too.
Back at work today, hitting the month end accounts - oh to be in the Creuse, now that spring is here...........

Make it happen!
Sallyd
Aug 2006
by TournesolKate • Mon 04 Jan 2010 16:16

It's that time of year again, the snow is falling and the birds are fighting over the feeders!
My beautiful pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers have returned to the garden for food.
Has anybody seen any interesting or unusual birds in the garden this year?

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by lestroisours • Mon 04 Jan 2010 20:12

Saw a redwing this morning, tackling the berries on our catoneasta. Not a bird I have seen in these parts before, but recognised it from birds we saw in Scotland.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by TournesolKate • Wed 16 Jun 2010 14:17

I have a family of SISKIN~TARIN DES AULNES nesting nearby, keep seeing the babies having flying lessons in the garden!
Also saw by the side of the road between Aubusson and St. Sulpice les Champs a BLACK WOODPECKER~PIC NOIR! How lucky am I? :D

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by lestroisours • Mon 16 Apr 2012 08:09

Seen this weekend in our garden. Managed to snap several images including one of his display to its mate that was out of shot, whilst in the background I could hear several cuckoos. Truly a spring sight.

Hoopoe (Upupa epops) is renowned visitor for nesting.

hp.jpg

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Annik • Mon 16 Apr 2012 11:48

That's interesting. Our son saw a hoopoe last time he was staying with us and could hardly believe his eyes.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by pili-pala • Tue 17 Apr 2012 10:57

What a treat to see the Hoopoe, and so clearly. I saw one last year flying by but not well enough to truly appreciate it's beauty.
Just read all of this thread, great links to english -french birds names and books. I have been wanting to know what the french names were for all the birds we have here.
The black redstarts arrived here about a month ago, bit later than last year and we have pied wagtails nesting somewhere in the buildings.
On another note my O/H saw a black woodpecker (red head) last week as he driving down a little lane- I'd love to have seen it :)

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by Annik • Tue 17 Apr 2012 11:06

They must be common this year! After writing the above we saw one in our field yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if it managed to stay in one place long enough to be photographed.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by thetransporter • Tue 17 Apr 2012 13:12

Not seen a hoopoe, much to my dismay - We haved lived here several years now, and never seen one - my parents come and stay for a week every few years or so and always see them - they think we're surrounded by them.

I was very disturbed to see what I think was a cormorant yesterday flying over the river between Crozant and Eguzon. These birds have a pretty nasty reputation back in the UK and indeed have appeared on the local fishing guide/rules pamphlet here classed as a menace.

Does anyone know any more details of why they are so detested and unwanted by anglers ?

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by smilespwp • Tue 17 Apr 2012 15:07

I think it is because their diet is mainly fish. The Japanese use them for fishing, with a restriction loop around the neck so what they dive for and catch, can't be swallowed.

They are very efficient at fishing, although their's is for survival and not for sport. Whereas anglers .....?

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions