Re: Les Oiseaux dans la Creuse
by Creusebear • Tue 17 Apr 2012 17:43

Hoopoe (Upupa epops) is renowned visitor.
lestroisours
Now I understand what my neighbour was trying to tell me. I couldn't understand what an 'Upoo' was!

She also tells me there is a 'Petit-duc' (Eurasian Scops owl) that sits on our wall every evening. I would love to see him/her!
petit-duc.scops.chma.2g.jpg

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Les Oiseaux dans la Creuse
by lestroisours • Wed 11 Jul 2012 07:10

I thought it had been long enough time for the garden birds to have at least fledged, so I decided on a trim to the leylandii down the side of our garden. Two thirds the way down I found a nest and three tiny eggs, so I ceased work, and sat back to watch hoping I hadn't disturbed the birds.

Great relief when I saw the goldcrest return to sit on the eggs. Having seen them (only just) on Springwatch, it was a joy to see them here. I only hope It didn't disturb the nest or the eggs too much.

They are so tiny, and the nest so fragilely and barely perched on the small branch of the hedge.

I can only think that their first nest was predated, either by the jays, magpies, or the pine marten that we saw predating on the first two's families, and they have had to start again.

I shall do my best to keep them safe, especially from our gruesome twosome one of whom has just brought in a dead redstart, for which she was scolded.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions