Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Horses in the Creuse
by beetle • Sun 27 Apr 2008 21:38
Recently visited the Bricomarche in Chatre - amazing,complete self assembly staircases, mobile phones, sit on lawn mowers, horse shoes and saddles, hang on a minute, they do not have those at B&Q back in old blighty. Hmm like the saddles Camargue style I presume. I wonder how comfortable they are?
Does anyone know about the horse world of the Creuse, had horsey days out, new experiences, are there horse friendly trails?
p.s. I have not ridden for many years but feel tempted to renew the bonds. I know I will be walking like John Wayne for a week after the first time back in the saddle, but it does you a world of good in the long run.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Horses in the Creuse
by Creusebear • Mon 28 Apr 2008 19:12
I've seen signs for an equestrian centre just south of Chateauroux.
Creusebear
May 2007
by lestroisours • Tue 29 Apr 2008 07:13
At Masgrangeas near the lac de Vassivière there is an equestrian centre.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by jasmine • Tue 29 Apr 2008 09:38
We have a small livery yard just outside Genouillac. I have two of my own horses but as yet have not done any competitions with them. The hacking around here is very good as very little traffic passes. I think in Summer next year when we have finished with the new stables etc. we may well hold some non-affiliated competitions here.
Up to yet I have not seen any competitions in this area but towards Chénérailles I have seen Show Jumping and also Aubusson has a lot of riders who do endurance.
If you are looking for equestrian centres their is another one in Gueret and one in St Feyre by the little airport I believe they have quite a few horses between them and have various lessons going.
On the second Sunday of May and October their is a horse fair at Chénérailles though I have to say I feel very sorry for some of the horses that are there for sale as some of them are very sorry looking. My problem is that I always want to bring them all home with me!! You can also buy tack etc. there and they have a very big market for fruit, veg, plants, clothes etc.
Well hope that has given you some more information to be going along with.
Jasmine :lol:
jasmine
Dec 2007
by Leighngrae • Tue 29 Apr 2008 10:16
We went riding at a little stables based near bussiere dunoise recently.In the summer the horses are kept at Le Celle Dunoise. The leaflet with the phone number is posted up on the gate at Celle Dunoise. It cost 15 euros each for about an hour and a half.The lady there speaks a little english so with my limited french we sorted things out.I hasten to add that I am not really a rider ,my friend is a keen horsewoman though and she enjoyed herself.
Leighngrae
Apr 2007
(no longer in operation)
by CaroleandClive • Tue 29 Apr 2008 15:40
Hiya

I used to ride at Anne and Ivor's place. Its located above the viaduct at Glenic, near Gueret. Villalot Equitation it's called there's a sign on the main road.

kindest
Carole
CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by lady • Tue 17 Jun 2008 23:16
Please make sure before you go riding that you have insurance I went riding at a stables in Jan this year on my own and the horse was skittish and I ended up at hospital and had to pay the costs as the owner of the stables wasn't insured and neither was I. Enjoy yourself but take good care. I am fine now it wasnt too seriouse just a broken finger but that cost me £1000.00 !!! Lesson learnt.
one word of kindness will make a huge difference.
lady
Mar 2008
by andie • Wed 18 Jun 2008 08:39
There are stables at St. Sebastien not far from J20 of the A20
andie
Oct 2007
by beetle • Wed 18 Jun 2008 23:05
Thanks for all the information. Insurance! it never crossed my mind. But of course in France you are responsible for your own actions and consequences. How refreshing no one banning everything. Without risk life would be dull.

Can I afford the insurance? How much cover would I need?
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by CaroleandClive • Thu 19 Jun 2008 13:24
I would certainly agree. Nothing is without risk. I have insurance for my own horse, but not for me falling off and getting injured. I think it covers me for death and losing limbs and him too. I honestly think it would be cost-prohibitive.

One tip though is to check your travel insurance, mine covers me for hacking and even jumping, as long as I am not competing in any competitions. So you are covered for medical emergencies there under that annual policy. But would you not be covered on your E111(whatever it is now) the reciprocal thingy is.

I've never seen insurance around for riding other people's horses, unless your're a trainer. But then I guess I've never really looked.

Riding Centres generally have public liability insurance. There are usually disclaimers to sign for cross-country and so on...

That's why tried and trusted geegees are your best bet, but they can all be pretty unpredictable at the end of the day.

kindest
Carole
CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by Twinkletoes • Tue 24 Jun 2008 17:19
Another option is to pop into your local tourist office and pick up the brochure Creuse en Cheval. This gives you all the equestrian centres in the Creuse and also whether they speak English or not. Great little directory.
Twinkletoes
Oct 2007
by sibois • Fri 18 Jul 2008 15:34
Our friendly neighbours run an equestrian centre (la ferme du Cheval Rouge) that does walks through the woods, pony rides, carriage rides and training. Near to St' Sulpice le Dunois.

For more info see www.lafermeduchevalrouge.fr, or send me a message.
sibois
Oct 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions