Snake!
by Dave • Thu 05 Sep 2019 09:58

Last week we found a snake, or rather a snake popped-up out of a drainage channel and looked at us with suspicion. 8O

We've not actually seen a snake in person before but had found discarded snake skins so knew they could be about.

It was about a meter long and moved pretty fast once it decided we weren't a threat or edible. It shot off across the lawn (er, well, baked earth with brown stuff on it) and into a ditch.

I think this is a non-venomous grass snake.

I ran back to the house for the camera and managed to get a couple of pictures.

snake-head.jpg
snake.jpg

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Snake!
by RobertArthur • Thu 05 Sep 2019 12:33

Not as impressive, but the frogs have gone undercover,

Around and in a rather warm pile of bricks many small black snakes, about 10 centimeters, with two white dots aroud their neks. I'll try to catch them, with my camera, next time when we meet. Probably also of the couleuvre family.

Two hours later: hiding deep in the sand, his or her lucky day, escaped a possible splitting action of my shovel.

Seven hours later, and there we have number six of this afternoon, a white collar couleuvre. Size reference: the pav├ęs are 16x16x6 cm. They are named "Hades", so perhaps this explains the mutual attraction between black snakes and this type of bricks.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions