Finding ingredients
by dissid32 • Thu 19 Sep 2013 07:32

I've just been having a quick look through some of the recipes and there are some ingredients I've never found in France, e.g. Allspice and aduki beans. Can anyone recommend somewhere I might find these things?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Finding ingredients
by virtdave • Thu 19 Sep 2013 09:20

I usually bring anything the least bit exotic (by French standards) with us when we come from California in the spring, since the San Francisco area has scores of Asian grocers. There is reportedly an Asian épicerie behind the Cora in Limoges, which may have what you want. Azuki beans are used a lot in Asia, partly to concoct a rather nasty Japanese bean-based dessert. I did bring a sachet of allspice over, but I think it's sold here, under the name of quatre-épices--possibly the spice guy at the Felletin Friday market has it. You may also have heard of the Chinese five-spices....probably unrelated, tho I'm not 100% sure of that....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by kowalczy • Thu 19 Sep 2013 20:56

Allspice is known in France as "poivre de la Jamaïque".
The Asian shop behind Cora in Limoges is called 'Thoune Asia', 05.55.35.81.06 Open Mon - Sat 09h30 - 13h 14h - 19h30

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Pamski • Thu 19 Sep 2013 21:29

When you're next in Pontaumur, try the Bio shop on the main street. I don't know if they have exactly what you're looking for but they are very well stocked with things I haven't seen elsewhere.

Pamski
Sep 2011
by dissid32 • Thu 19 Sep 2013 22:16

Thanks for replies. I understand that Allspice is a single spice, and comes mostly from Jamaica, so the French name makes sense.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions