Beef Brisket
by Siptea • Fri 26 Jul 2013 20:10

Can someone tell me how to say beef brisket in French and where to buy it? I'd really love a pastrami sandwich, and I need the beef brisket to make corned beef first, which I can then make pastrami out of. I also love beef brisket in the Crock Pot with BBQ sauce.

Thanks!

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
Re: Beef Brisket
by virtdave • Fri 26 Jul 2013 21:15

this site is helpful for such questions. Brisket is poitrine de boeuf

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Fri 26 Jul 2013 23:03

Thank you! Do you know if they sell it here, and where to buy it?

this site is helpful for such questions. Brisket is poitrine de boeuf
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Sat 27 Jul 2013 07:43

I think any butcher (most grandes surfaces' meat departments have a person behind the counter, as well as wrapped meats) would be able to supply it. You might ask for pointe de poitrine de boeuf to get something more precisely what you want.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Sat 27 Jul 2013 10:09

Okay I will ask at my Leclerc, thank you! Fingers crossed!

I think any butcher (most grandes surfaces' meat departments have a person behind the counter, as well as wrapped meats) would be able to supply it. You might ask for pointe de poitrine de boeuf to get something more precisely what you want.
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Thu 08 Aug 2013 10:36

I also get confused between the difference between baking powder and yeast, as the names are similar. And not sure how to ask for corn starch, or if they have it in the flour section.

On an interesting note, I was looking for fruit pectin for jam, they don't actually have it, you can just buy the sugar with it already in, ready for canning. Ah, modern times!

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Frankie • Thu 08 Aug 2013 13:33

Siptea
Corn flour is Farine de maïs

Frankie
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Thu 08 Aug 2013 14:35

Thanks Frankie but I am looking for corn starch

Siptea
Said Frankie

Siptea
Jul 2010
by kowalczy • Thu 08 Aug 2013 17:45

Siptea
Said Frankie
Said Siptea

Pray tell, what is the difference? I am of the belief that they are the same thing.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Siptea • Thu 08 Aug 2013 18:26

I thought corn starch was thicker, but have never used corn flour or seen it personally, so might be wrong.

Siptea
Said Frankie
Said Siptea

Pray tell, what is the difference? I am of the belief that they are the same thing.
Said kowalczy

Siptea
Jul 2010
by edmoraz • Fri 09 Aug 2013 08:33

No they are the same thing.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Siptea • Fri 09 Aug 2013 11:06

On a side note, I asked the butcher at our Leclerc for beef brisket in French, and he directed me to the beef ribs. He said that´s what it is. I guess you can´t get the brisket I am looking for, that you´d use to make corned beef and pastrami.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Fri 09 Aug 2013 21:43

hmmm...you might try another butcher, and specify pointe de poitrine de boeuf...
As for the corn starch, there's a product called Maïzena which is pretty much what in the USA is called corn starch. It's sold in all big supermarkets here.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Fri 09 Aug 2013 22:51

I gave the butcher a piece of paper with it just as you had written it, pointe de poitrine. Not sure where to find another butcher as we always do your weekly shop in Gueret and Leclerc seems to have the highest end food there.

I bought Maizena and it worked great, I made General Tso's chicken :)

hmmm...you might try another butcher, and specify pointe de poitrine de boeuf...
As for the corn starch, there's a product called Maïzena which is pretty much what in the USA is called corn starch. It's sold in all big supermarkets here.
Said virtdave

Siptea
Jul 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions