Blessed are the cheesemakers.
by Creusebear • Fri 19 Oct 2012 23:21

I have been having thoughts ... dark thoughts ... of trying to make cheese. Apparently it's easy. I have been resisting for a while but I may have to give in to the urge soon. Any cheesemakers out there with advice for a novice?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Blessed are the cheesemakers.
by morag • Sat 20 Oct 2012 09:54

Lakeland do beginners cheese making equipment. Recipe Book, filters, rennet, the bowl to make it in etc. Looks fairly easy, so might try it sometime. It makes soft cheeses.

morag
Sep 2012
by grandad • Sat 20 Oct 2012 21:31

You will obviously need someone to do the quality tests ......
I'll be round!

grandad
Apr 2008
by Annik • Sat 20 Oct 2012 22:48

There was a piece on "Wartime Farm" (BBC2) which showed Ruth making cottage cheese using traditional methods. I don't think it can have been that different in rural France, as her utensils looked the same as those that turn up at brocantes every weekend. I think the demonstration was in episode 4.

Whilst googling to check this, I found reference to a "big cheesemaking kit" at www.bigcheesemakingkit.com that might be worth looking at for some tips.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 25 Oct 2012 20:40

Thanks for the link Annik!

You tube have got several 'how to' films too - each recipe different of course! Rennet, no rennet, lemon juice, buttermilk, vinegar - the variations seem endless.
Anyway I had a go at the 'heat milk to 175 degrees, add lemon juice. strain through a muslin cloth, add salt and chill' option.

The result is a bit 'meh', if you know what I mean. I didn't get the solid curds I was expecting when I added the lemon juice. It's definitely cheese, close to a ricotta, but it seems very dry. (Grandad - I don't think it's worth the trip) Not like the glossy version on You Tube at all! I need to have another go. I'll try and post a photo next time.

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions