English Bacon
by TournesolKate • Sat 06 Oct 2012 19:17

Anybody know if you can get English bacon around here? Otherwise, does anybody know of a good equivalent?
I live in Ahun.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Re: English Bacon
by TournesolKate • Sun 07 Oct 2012 10:30

Thank you, that's good to know. They are a little far away for me, but I might be able to get to Boussac market one day. The problem is me and OH both work full time, so it depends on days off.
If anybody knows of anyone a bit nearer to Gueret or Aubusson, any info welcome!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by enzo • Sun 04 Nov 2012 15:31

Hi, try Fleury Michon's Le Jambon A poeler I buy mine from Carrefour, best I've tasted thats close to english bacon. I cooked it longer than advised to get the right colour [if you know what I mean] but even if you follow instructions the taste is great also very little water in it,unlike most english/Danish bacon worth a try I think.. .. try before you make the journey to boussac market ...

enzo
Jun 2011
by Annik • Sun 04 Nov 2012 21:06

French sliced smoked belly of pork is a nice alternative if you don't mind the fat (which we don't).

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by redburmese • Tue 06 Nov 2012 23:15

carrefours own streaky bacon smoked or naturalat 1euro 14 cents a packet is great :egypt: once tried 'english bacon with the white water and gunge that comes out of it is a no no :hot:

redburmese
Aug 2008
by JulieR • Wed 07 Nov 2012 13:22

Yes agree with Redburmese that the poitrine fumé or nature is a good equivalent and a good price, own brand and 'labels' from most supermarkets
Julie

Though I do like english bacon too, or danish!!! lol ok I like it all :egypt:

JulieR
May 2005
by axeman • Thu 08 Nov 2012 06:47

hi if you live in ahun try netto in aubusson they bave packs of poitrine fume very cheap and as good as bacon
regards

axeman
Jan 2012
by lestroisours • Thu 08 Nov 2012 13:32

In Leader Price we found a pack of "quart de jambon sec", square cut but lean bacon in all but name. No water in it, and very tasty.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by TournesolKate • Thu 08 Nov 2012 15:13

Thanks, I already buy poitrine fumé when I need a bacon fix. It's not the same though.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions