Decaf tea
by dissid32 • Mon 23 Jan 2012 11:15

Just a quick question: has anyone seen decaf tea in any of the shops? If so, where?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Decaf tea
by lestroisours • Mon 23 Jan 2012 12:36

Have you tried Roibos (redbush)? Naturally caffeine free and can be taken with or without milk. Not to everyone's taste but refreshing. Available in the free trade aisle at Netto Aubusson. I have a reaction to decaffeinated products. :-? 8O

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Mon 23 Jan 2012 17:12

Most of our French friends, when they want a brewed cup of tea at nite, drink a tisane of some sort--camomile, lime-blossom, mint, etc.--which are sold everywhere. 'Regular' tea does have a bit of caffeine in it, but the main xanthines in such teas are theine, theophylline and theobromine. Teas sold as 'decaffeinated' probably have these largely removed. This family of drugs does share some stimulating effects on the heart, brain, and lungs.
I find caffeine (and its cousins) very pleasant drugs, but not everyone does. My med school textbook, Goodman and Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Theraputics had a brief encomium about caffeine: "it promotes the more perfect association of ideas....". clearly written by a coffee junkie.
I imagine 'decaffeinated' teas are easily obtained on-line if you cannot find them in local stores.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dissid32 • Tue 24 Jan 2012 13:55

Thank you for your replies. Interesting! Can you tell me where Netto is in Aubusson?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Siptea • Mon 24 Sep 2012 13:23

Anything called "infusion" rather than tea has no caffeine, and believe me, I know because I cannot handle any caffeine. There are many choices for these at the supermarkets. Lots of nice fruity flavors!

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Tue 25 Sep 2012 09:19

Many folks are indeed caffeine-intolerant....and even more, like myself, are probably mildly addicted to it. Withdrawal from caffeine is not dreadful (usually mild headaches for a while), and coffee will not be declared a dangerous drug anytime soon. I cannot drink it at night (if I want to sleep), but I do have a nice cup of strong coffee each morning. Surprisingly, good coffee bean is easier to find in California than here in Creuse. The Ecomarché in Felletin does sell whole beans of very acceptable quality, in a nice big gold bag. I prefer to grind whole beans daily.
For a discussion of the benefits and risks of caffeine, you can look in this informative article.
We do also keep a big supply of herbal teas, widely sold in France, for evening use, and to offer guests. And since the San Francisco area has a huge Asian (and hippie) population, we bring a number of more exotic teas with us.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Tue 25 Sep 2012 19:37

I have a rather strange reaction to decaffinated coffee, that creates a chemical imbalance in my cerebral cortex, causing my blood pressure to fall and I sweat despite a feeling of a chill, like "someone walking over my grave", a sensation of dejà vu if you will. Even a coffee cake made with it has the same effect.

I contacted the coffee manufacturer/producer, who stated they use no chemicals in the process of decaffination. I remain sceptical.

So give me caffeine every time.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Dave • Wed 26 Sep 2012 10:23

It's possible that you have a reaction to the coffee every time but that it is masked by the caffeine. Do you get the same effect with decaf tea?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions