How to harvest walnuts?
by pili-pala • Wed 28 Sep 2011 09:05

My three walnut trees are in full "nut" and are dropping everywhere. I have collected baskets full and have had them laid flat on a tray outside but out of direct sunshine to dry the shells off. I had put some out in the sun but they all cracked open so now I'm worried to put anymore in direct sunshine.
I have looked up on the internet how to dry walnuts but I've not found anything really suitable.
Firstly, they all talk about english, american or black walnuts. I'm guessing that these here are black walnuts but I'm not sure- I highly doubt that they are either english or american but I don't know.
Do you leave the nut inside of the shell? I would have thought that you would so that the nut keeps "fresh". My only experience of walnuts in there shells came in a bag of mixed nuts at christmas time which you had to crack open all of them to get to the various nuts!
Is there a traditional way (french) of harvesting them?
We do have loires around here so I need to get to the nuts fast before they vanish even though the barn cats are doing an alright job at catching them as I keep finding cute furry tails out in the yard!
I'd love to hear from anyone :)

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
Re: How to harvest walnuts?
by lestroisours • Wed 28 Sep 2011 16:03

Cut away the green outer shell, and leave the nuts to dry for a few days in the sun. We have them in the green house. The kernels have to dry otherwise they are soft and bitter, so after a few days, prise one open to check. Leaving them in the outer green shell is risky, as I lost many last year as the rot went right through to the kernel. As for Loirs (dormice) Our cats have despatched a nest of them but we ended up with a small infestation of fleas.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by pili-pala • Wed 28 Sep 2011 21:43

Thanks for the info.
So did you find that when you put the kernels in the sun some split open revealing the edible nut? Does the nut keep ok even though this happens?
Did you keep all of yours in their kernels until you needed to use them?
I had read that it is a pain to get the green husk off, but I've been lucky so far as all of the ones that have fallen have come out of the husk just leaving the lovely little oval egg.
Sorry for so many questions and I appreciate your time in replying.

pili-pala
Apr 2010
by JulieR • Thu 29 Sep 2011 12:49

hi we have a couple of walnut trees and once they have fallen we pick them up, remove any of the green outer casing (though this has usually fallen away itself). I put them in a dry place, our boiler room usually and in previous years they have kept very well for up to a year.
hope this helps
Julie

ps any that are cracked must be eaten straight away as they do no keep once they are open.

JulieR
May 2005
by pili-pala • Thu 29 Sep 2011 14:40

Many thanks Julie, I shall take out all of the ones that have cracked and find a suitable spot to store the others.

pili-pala
Apr 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions