Anyone suffering from curry withdrawal symptoms?
by Jeanne • Mon 13 Jun 2011 20:50

Like most Brits here, I do miss a curry and although I make my own, they are a bit random as to how they turn out. By recommendation from a friend I ordered from : packetcurry.com

Well, I was more than pleasantly surprised. They are better than any of the jars or mixes that you can buy and are extremely reasonable and of course they are delivered to your door in France by La Poste.

So I reckon you curry lovers should give them a try - they are really good. :woot:

Jeanne
Jun 2010
Re: Anyone suffering from curry withdrawal symptoms?
by Annik • Mon 13 Jun 2011 23:22

Oh, fantastic! We adore curry and I do at least one a week but packing the bottled Sharwood sauces from England takes up lots of room in the cardboard boxes we bring over and I always find I have run out just as I have promised friends a curry supper. French "Curry Powder" is not exactly Indian haute cuisine.

We will certainly try these people. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by David_J • Tue 14 Jun 2011 10:27

Interesting, I enjoy a curry and miss not being able to nip down the takeaway for one (or fish and chips, chinese etc) so I too take curry mixtures from the UK, I prefer Lloyd Grossman to Sharwood but hey . . .
I have ordered a selection from the site and if anyone is interested I will pass on a review.
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
by edmoraz • Tue 14 Jun 2011 21:22

I have the easiest recipe of all its from slimming world but you would never guess.
2 x onions slowly dry fried
1 x tin of mushy peas
1 x tin chopped tomato
2 x heaped spoons of indian curry powder(or to taste)

Heat all the above in a pan then put in blender and blitz. Its delish , comes out like a balti.
You can now add chicken etc and I usually put some yoghurt and chopped corriander in. Have a go you cant go wrong.
Ange

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Jeanne • Wed 15 Jun 2011 08:35

LOL Ange. 8O I just don't think I could put a tin of mushy peas in to make a curry, just the thought turns my stomach. Does it actually taste like a real curry though? Do they sell mushy peas in France then?

I don't like the taste of curry powder, nor most of the "jars" or packets because they are not the flavour you get in a restaurant and that is the only reason I posted the suggestion for Packet Curry as they have been the closest I have ever found to a good almost restaurant type flavour.

I make my own curries but they are not the same. I have also ordered from other sites like Spices of India who do a huge range but are OK for spices but don't like the cans or mixes.

My problem is I am a curry snob and I really don't like the ones that I call "coming out of the pub after too many bevvies" type, ie, swimming in ghee, generally vindaloo and in my opinion pretty disgusting. The rare Indian restaurants that I have been to in France are this type I have found.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Frankie • Wed 15 Jun 2011 08:53

I have followed many recipes from the site below, and they are as good as they come for home made curries, just start with thye basic curry recipe and adapt it to the rest of the curry recipes,

www.curryhouse.co.uk

Frankie
Jul 2010
by Lynn • Wed 15 Jun 2011 14:10

I have fond it possible to buy the spices you need for curries from the 'Grand Frais' stores, it seems to be the only place with a good selection at a reasonable price. But I shall have a look at your packetcurry.com place now too. Thanks.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by edmoraz • Wed 15 Jun 2011 18:37

Jeanne you would not know that it contained mushy peas, give it a go its delish and easy.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by lestroisours • Thu 16 Jun 2011 09:43

The francais with the old royal mail van who goes round the markets locally does all the spices for curries and other dishes.

Although I have a curry powder from Carrefour, nothing beats the flavour of freshly ground coriander and cumin, and the other spices for a real homemade curry. We are growing our own herbs for the purpose.

Pestle and mortar are essentials.

Bon appetit.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Thu 16 Jun 2011 12:01

Berkeley, California has become a center of Indian immigration to the USA, with excellent épiceries--for the price of one tiny bottle of (for instance) cloves, one can get a pound of them in a sack. So I come prepared for curry preparation--of course, storing the spices in airtight containers is necessary to keep them from going stale, and growing some of them is fun and useful. But ready-made curry spices are just mixes which one can easily reproduce (and more cheaply) from the components. I understand there's an Asian shop in Limoges (near the ?old Cora) which does sell Indian and Chinese stuff. Has anyone tried it out?

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Lynn • Thu 16 Jun 2011 16:29

I'll have a look for it next Thursday when I go to the airport!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by oldbill • Fri 17 Jun 2011 14:57

I can recomend Rafi's Spice Box, they will ship a huge amount over for very little money. Each pack contains freeze dried makings for a currey for four, the packets are air sealed and can be frozen for six months. If you go onto the web site you will find a bar for strength ranging from mild to hot that comes in handy.

The older I get, the better I was.
oldbill
Feb 2006
by thewrights • Sat 18 Jun 2011 12:57

oldbill just beat me to it - Rafi's mixes are excellent. We used to live close to one of her shops in the UK so got to know her well. The mixes make fantastic curries!

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions