wine yeast
by virtdave • Sun 13 Jun 2010 18:24

It's almost time to harvest elderflowers to make wine--I've done this for a number of years, with pretty good results, and I've used wine yeast which I've brought from the USA, where winemaking supplies are fairly easy to buy--but I forgot to bring it this year. Does anyone know where I can get this in France?

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: wine yeast
by lestroisours • Sun 13 Jun 2010 21:23

Ah thereby hangs a tale. A lot of wine needs no yeast, due to "noble rot" I tried last year without success. I have a wne kit here unopened, but I believe that contains no yeast. If you find any let me know!

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Creusebear • Sun 13 Jun 2010 23:26

I found this site in French on wine-making which says you can use bread yeast. I have also seen citric acid being used in recipes for Elderflower wine. I'm here if you need help with the tasting. :wink:

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Mon 14 Jun 2010 08:11

I've googled various ways to try to find wine yeast here in France, and in general, it seems to be mostly sold in 500g. quantities, for lotsa euros, and is clearly aimed at serious winemaking operations. I did find the same small packages of wine yeast I usually bring with me for two or three euros in France, but the shipping charge is ten euros, and I'm too radin to order it this way. It's surprising that it's so easily available in the USA and Canada, where exactly the same stuff is sold for under a dollar. I've been using wine yeast for many years for my elderflower wine, but this year I'll try plain levure de boulangerie and cross my fingers....

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions