My cake wont rise
by edmoraz • Sat 13 Mar 2010 10:11

Can anyone help, I have tried numerous sponge recipes and methods and my cake wont rise. I have bought new tins etc but still end up with a flat cake.HELP. :lol:

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: My cake wont rise
by virtdave • Sat 13 Mar 2010 11:29

Are you using baking powder (levure chimique)? If so, it may be stale--or, if you're adding a lot of acid juice (like orange juice) to the recipe, it can deactivate the baking powder. Another possibility is over-beating.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by jumac • Sat 13 Mar 2010 11:51

I have a super recipe. Weigh your eggs(3). Whatever the weight is use the same weight of margarine, sugar and flour(gateau flour). Cream fat and sugar, add eggs one by one, add flour and bobs your uncle you have a nice sponge. Cook at 180-200c. for about 20 minutes. The time may vary according to your oven. Good luck!

jumac
Jul 2005
by edmoraz • Sat 13 Mar 2010 12:08

I use self raising flour. I do remember the egg weighing method now you mention it, I will give that a go.Thanks.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Maria2009 • Sun 14 Mar 2010 16:35

I sometimes over 'play' with my sponge cakes and that causes them to become very flat! Also I have found that keep opening the oven to check on them (which my kids love to do) does not help the rising process :)

Maria2009
Apr 2009
by edmoraz • Sun 14 Mar 2010 21:11

I will be careful not to over whisk/beat.I am not off until a week on Thursday so I will have another go then.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by carpinmike1 • Mon 15 Mar 2010 16:49

Until i came out to live in France i could not make a sponge cake no matter what i tried,but since coming out here i have no problems,they are light and rise well,our French neighbours love them.I use the cheapest margarine,the cheapest gateaux flour and our own fresh eggs,works for me ,good luck with your baking.

carpinmike1
Jun 2007
by edmoraz • Mon 26 Jul 2010 17:30

Success at last I have just made an upside down rhubarb cake using the egg weighing method and even though I say it myself it was lovely.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions