Suet
by dissid32 • Sat 13 Feb 2010 10:09

Does anybody know whether one can buy vegetable suet or ordinary suet in france? And if so, what it's called and whereabouts in the supermarket one might find it?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Suet
by Sevy • Sat 13 Feb 2010 11:56

Dissid
Hi there, you can buy Suet from Bill the Cheese you can find him at the following Markets, Ahun Wednesday, Boussac Thursday, Felletin Friday, St Amande, Montlucon and La Sout on alternate Saturdays and the second Sunday of every month at St Vaury.
Happy cooking
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
by dissid32 • Sat 13 Feb 2010 20:28

Thanks for that, Sevy. Unfortunately I'm not very near to any of those markets, and it doesn't really seem worth it to make a special trip just for suet, which probably wouldn't be all that good for me, anyway. I felt sure that the french must use it in cooking somehow, but maybe they don't. I happened to see a recipe for steak and kidney pudding somewhere, and I just thought I might have a go at it, but perhaps I'll just forget that silly idea.
Thanks anyway.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Creusebear • Sun 14 Feb 2010 15:26

I found this post on the subject. It is from an Anglo forum based in Switzerland but you might find some of the suggested alternatives worth a try.
Also this recipe in french which seems to be very similar to dumplings, without suet.
Happy cooking!

Creusebear
May 2007
by dissid32 • Sun 14 Feb 2010 21:06

Sounds tasty. Thanks, Creusebear

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by lestroisours • Mon 15 Feb 2010 15:08

I got some fresh lard from the Butchers counter at Carrefour "La Graisse de reins", but had to grate it myself. Makes good puddings. I used it to make haggis in 2008, along with the other ingredients from the local butcher for free. (lambs lungs heart and liver are not used for meat products apparently.)

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Mon 15 Feb 2010 16:58

Haggis is viewed in the USA with a combination of astonishment and queasiness--but I lived for a while in Edinburgh, just around the corner from McSween's, "Purveyor of Haggis to Her Majesty", and found that washed down with heroic amounts of single malt whiskey it was quite delicious. I did not even know it could be made at home, I assumed there was some process in its manufacture which required a complicated machine.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lestroisours • Mon 15 Feb 2010 18:16

Haggis is merely minced meats (as previously described), with suet, allspice, barley, oatflakes, stock, nicely wrapped in a stomach. That was the only thing I couldn't get in the short time, so I made it with the membrane that surrounds Brains faggots (not the US type or the french type), and cooked it in a bowl, with neeps and tatties and a whisky sauce. Very nice!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions