Indian, Chinese & Italian Dishes, plus Pasta & Rice
by Goose • Sat 23 Feb 2008 18:54

I haven't made a cake that's "just" ginger but I make a very yummy one (thanks to Trouty) that has bananas, walnuts, raisins (optional) plus 4 spices, ginger and cinnamon in it if you're interested. You could put more ginger in if you wanted that as the main flavour.

Chicken - I sometime do "chicken Indienne" - fry mushrooms and a onions in butter then put aside, fry bite-sized chicken pieces then add the mushroom mix and stir in chicken gravy that has also been mixed with Indienne spices and ginger and any other spice that you want plus some cream near the end of its cooking time. I serve this with rice and chunks of baguette.

Or coat skinless chicken breasts with beaten egg and dip in rolled (in a bag, rolled with a rolling pin) Paxo type stuffing mix ,then coat with melted butter and bung in oven 'til cooked.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: Does anyone have a good recipe to share?
by jasmine • Thu 03 Apr 2008 19:16

Hi all thought we might have a chinese night so how about these -
Beef with Green and Red Peppers
450gm steak (any so long as not too sinewy)
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine or dry sherry or Muscadet wine
1 teaspoon corn flour
1 teaspoon of sugar
3 tablespoons veg oil or olive oil
1 red pepper cut into pieces of about 1 cm x 5 cm strips
1 green pepper cut as for the red pepper
2 slices of fresh ginger
2 cloves of garlic crushed

Method
Trim fat and cut along the grain of the meat into 4/5 cm slices 5 mm thick
place in a bowl and add the soy sauce, rice wine, corn flour and sugar then mix well. You can leave this to marinade. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium to high heat, add peppers stir fry for a couple of minutes then transfer to a plate. Heat remaining oil and add the ginger and garlic stir a few times then stir in the beef mixture, stir continually for about 4 mins return the peppers (if at this point it looks to dry you can add water to thin the liquid) and stir again for about two minutes serve immediately with either boiled or fried rice or noodles.

And for Goose as she is not into peppers

Chicken with walnuts
450gm chicken breast cut into 2 cm strips
2 teaspoons of corn flour
2 teaspoons of rice wine or dry sherry or Muscadet wine
½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
4 tablespoons of veg. Oil or olive oil
2 cloves of garlic crushed
85gm shelled walnut halves (optional)
1 tsp sesame oil

Method
Place chicken in a bowl add corn flour, wine and ginger
In a small bowl mix hoi sin, sugar, soy sauce with 2 tablespoons of water stir until smooth. Heat oil in the pan add garlic and stir until the garlic sizzles add the chicken stir for a few minutes (3/4 depending on the thickness of the chicken I always cut a piece open with scissors to check its thoroughly cooked) remove garlic if desired. Reduce heat to medium stir in the sauce mix and continue stirring until well blended. Add walnuts and the sesame oil stir for 2 minutes and serve immediately.
Again serve with boiled or fried rice or noodles.

If anyone wants a recipe for fried rice let me know and I will post it.
Hope you enjoy them
Jasmine :lol:

jasmine
Dec 2007
Re: Does anyone have a good recipe to share?
by james419 • Thu 03 Apr 2008 20:25

This is quite nice!!

Curried Capon

Ingredients

1 3-4lb Capon
2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
½ Teaspoon Ginger
1 leek or onion
1 Stalk of celery with Leaves – for decoration
1 Sprig of Parsley
10 Peppercorns
½ clove of Garlic
2 Tablespoons Butter
½ Teaspoon grated Lemon Rind
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ Cup Cream/ Crème Fraiche
½ Teaspoon Grated orange rind
½ teaspoon Pepper

Method
Mix 1 teaspoon each of salt, curry and ginger – Rub this into the inside of the bird
Place a leek/onion, celery, parsley, peppercorns, and garlic inside the cavity
Melt the butter and stir in ½ teaspoon each of curry, salt, lemon rind, and 1/8th cayenne pepper.
Close all cavities/truss and rub with melted butter mixture.
Lay on rack in a roasting tray breast side up.
Roast in moderate oven 350f – for 25 minutes per pound until tender and golden brown.
Baste frequently with contents of roasting tray.
When done – remove from tray and place on warm platter.

Make gravey by adding cream to dripping, ¼ stock and ½ teaspoon each of salt, pepper and curry + grated orange rind

We always make some extra sauce as it is lovely on toast the following day of for dipping with fresh bread.

james419
Sep 2005
Re: Indian and Chinese recipes
by virtdave • Thu 09 Jul 2009 13:03

Black bean sauce

A small amount of this goes quite a ways--it's excellent on braised eggplant. Bass baked with this sauce is a traditional Chinese festive dish. You can get this sauce ready-made in some Chinese groceries, but this home-made version is pretty good--I was about to buy some prepared sauce in a Chinese market when an elderly Chinese woman asked me why not whip it up myself, and gave me the following:

3 T. fermented black beans (sold in packages--a package lasts forever. I bring mine from the USA, but I believe there's an asian épicerie behind the Cora in Limoges which should have it--sometimes called preserved, or salted black beans)
1 T. sugar
2 T. grated ginger (ginger root is sold in most large food markets--it lasts for months in your freezer, grate as needed)
4 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
60 cc. mirin (sweetened cooking wine--mirin is the Japanese version, but there's a Chinese version too, sometimes called 'yellow wine'. Sherry is a perfectly ok substitute).
60 cc. soy sauce (I bring this from the USA, where the Tamari brand is particularly good, but any good-quality soy sauce is ok.)

mash up everything with a fork a bit and store in the fridge in a closed container. Keeps for months.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Indian, Chinese & Italian Dishes, plus Pasta & Rice.
by Maria2009 • Fri 10 Jul 2009 09:05

Indian Butter Chicken

This is a lovely curry recipe that I found on video jug and changed a bit. It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are store cupboard items and will last for other dishes. If you can't get fresh ginger I have found that dried ginger (and garlic) work equally well.

Ingredients

3 - 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp garlic, crushed
1 tsp ginger, crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam marsala
2 tbsp ground almonds
can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp natural yoghurt - I prefer Greek style
2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
salt and pepper.

Directions

1: Season the chicken with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper.
2: Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and add the chicken. Over a medium heat cook the chicken until done and then remove and put aside.
3: In the same pan melt the butter. Add the onion and cinnamon to the butter and fry until the onion as turned soft.
4: Add all the remaining ingredients - except the spinach and coriander. And stir until thoroughly mixed together and the tomatoes are crushed.
Step: Return the chicken to the pan and bring the curry to the boil. Lower the heat and then simmer for 15 mins or so. The longer you cook this dish the deeper the flavours become - but if you are going to cook it for longer do so on a very very low heat.
5: Add the coriander and spinach and cook for a further 5 mins (the spinach will 'wilt down' into the curry)
6: Serve with boiled rice

Enjoy :)

Maria2009
Apr 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions