Preserves (jams and chutneys)
by Lynn • Sun 14 Sep 2008 12:39

Hi
if you gently stew the elderberries with a VERY small quantity of water for a couple of hours and then strain off the juice overnight; add one pound of sugar to each pint of water and boil until it reaches setting point, it's delicious on bread or with charcuterie and cheese.
Have fun
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
Preserves (jams and chutneys)
by mikegrogers • Wed 19 Nov 2008 18:47

this is a recipe for beetroot chutney and goes with a variety of dishes hot or cold.

ingredients:
3lb beetroot (cooked)
1,1/2lb cooking apples (canadian)
2lb onions
1 pint vinegar (malt)
1/2 lbsugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger(optional)
method:
!: dice cooked beetroot

2:peel onions and apples, cut into a small dice
boil for 2 minutes with vinegar and all other ingrediants except beetroot.

3: add diced beetroot and boil for 1/4 hour.

put into sterile jars.

ours doesnt last long enough to say how long it will keep?
you could use pre cooked beetroot from the supermarket instead.

would like to hear when you have compiled your recipes

mikegrogers
May 2008
Lemon Curd
by Goose • Fri 10 Jul 2009 11:48

Lemon Curd

Grated rind and juice of 4 lemons
4 eggs, beaten
100g unsalted butter (diced)
450g caster sugar
(Makes approx 2 1/2 “jam jars” )

Combine lemon zest and sugar in a large Pyrex type bowl.
In another bowl beat the eggs then stir in the lemon juice.
Pour eggs and lemon onto the sugar mix and stir it all up together.
Add the butter then place the bowl over a large pan of simmering water making sure the bowl doesn‘t touch the water.
Stir until the sugar has dissolved and continue heating, stirring from time to time, until the curd thickens. (takes about 20 - 30 minutes)
Pour into sterilised jars, put the lids on and leave to cool. (it will thicken up more when it has cooled and been in the fridge).
Keep in the fridge and eat within 1 month.

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: Preserves (jams and chutneys)
by Goose • Fri 10 Jul 2009 12:31

Blackberry and Apple Jam

1 ½ kgs Blackberries (washed)
563 kegs prepared apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
225 ml water
2 ¼ kegs Granulated sugar

1) Simmer the blackberries in HALF the water until soft;

2) Then simmer the apples SEPARATELY in the remaining water;

3) Mash both to a pulp then mix the two fruits together;

4) Place these mixed fruits in the preserving pan, add the sugar and stir until dissolved;

5) Increase the heat and boil rapidly until setting point is reached (test on a cold saucer);

6) Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately.

7) Label with product name, date of making and date in six months’ time when it’ll be best to be eaten by.

This quantity made 9 jars of jam (ordinary sized jam-jars plus one smaller jar).

Goose
Mar 2005
by mikegrogers • Fri 04 Sep 2009 18:02

sweet pear pickle

3 1/2 pounds pears
1/2 oz cloves (in a muslin bag)
1 1/2lb sugar
1/2 pint of malt vinegar
peal and core the pears cut in small pieces place ingredients into a pan cook until tender and thickened slightly, remove cloves and bottle.

lovely with pork or ham

mikegrogers
May 2008
by Creusebear • Wed 28 Apr 2010 10:45

Not being a very good cook, I scored a big hit with my neighbours when I gave them this chutney I made over Christmas It is a Delia Smith recipe and I promised them I would translate the recipe. So here it is in English (if I can do it anyone can) and French (apologies if some of the terms are wrong - I don't know the cooking vocab very well)

CHRISTMAS CHUTNEY
Makes a 1 litre jar

Ingredients
10 oz (275 g) ready-to-eat dried apricots
12 oz (350 g) pitted ready-to-eat prunes
10 oz (275 g) pitted dates
1 lb (450 g) onions, peeled
1 pint (570 ml) cider vinegar
2 oz (50 g) sea salt
1 level dessertspoon grated fresh root ginger or 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
3 oz (75 g) allspice berries
1 lb (450 g) demerara sugar

Method

The dried fruits and the onions need to be chopped very small, and this can be done in a food processor, or with an old-fashioned mincer, or else with a sharp knife and lots of patience!??
When they're all dealt with, put the vinegar in a large saucepan with the salt and the ginger, then tie the allspice berries up in a small piece of muslin, or gauze, very securely so they can't escape and add these to the pan. Bring everything up to the boil, then stir in the chopped dried fruits and onions together with the sugar. ??
Leave it all to simmer very gently without a lid for about 1½ hours, or until the chutney has thickened. Stir it from time to time during the cooking period. When it's ready, you will be able to draw a spoon across the surface of the chutney and make a trail that doesn't immediately fill up with surplus vinegar.?? In the meantime, the jar should be washed thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed, dried and heated in a moderate oven for 5 minutes. Spoon the cooked chutney into the warmed jar, seal well with waxed discs and tight lids, and label as soon as it's cold. ??
Keep this chutney for 1 month to mature before eating.

CHUTNEY DE NOEL
Donne un pot de 1 Litre

INGREDIENTS:
275g Abricots secs prêt-a-manger
350g Prunaux dénoyautés prêt-a-manger
275g Dattes sèches dénoyautés
450g Onions (épluchés)
570ml Vinaigre de cidre
50g Sel de mer

Une moyenne cuillière, ras de gigembre frais rapé
Une petite cuillière de gingembre sec, en poudre

75g de quatre-épices
450g de le sucre de canne roux véritable,

METHODE
Les fruits secs et les oignons doivent être coupés très petits et cela peut être fait dans un robot de cuisine, ou avec un hachoir traditionel, ou bien avec un couteau pointu et beaucoup de patience.

Mettez ensuite, le vinaigre dans une grande casserole avec le sel et le gingembre, emballez ensuite les baies de quatre-épices dans un petit morceau de mousseline, ou de gaze, très solidement donc ils ne peuvent pas échapper et ajouter ceux-ci à la casserole.

Apportez tout jusqu'au furoncle, ajouter ensuite les fruits secs coupés, les oignons et le sucre et mélanger.

Laisser cuire à petit feu très doucement sans un couvercle pour environ 1 ½ heures, ou jusqu'à ce que le condiment ait épaissi.

Remuez-le de temps en temps pendant la période cuisinante.

Quand c'est prêt, vous serez capables de tirer une cuillère à travers la surface du condiment et faire une piste qui ne se remplit pas immédiatement du vinaigre en trop.

En attendant, le pot doit être bien lavée dans l'eau savonneuse chaude, rincée, séché et chauffé dans un four modéré pendant 5 minutes

Prenez en cuiller le condiment dans le pot chauffé, fermez bien avec les disques cirés et les couvercles serrés et mettre l'étiquette aussitôt que c'est froid.

Gardez ce condiment pour 1 mois pour mûrir avant de manger.

Creusebear
May 2007
by jumac • Sun 24 Oct 2010 10:54

I use elderberries in tarts. With apples they are yummy, the other day I made a blackberry and elderberry crumble - delicious! I often freeze them and have them
with ice cream mmmm......

jumac
Jul 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions