Raspberry suggestions, please
by Goose • Wed 24 Jun 2009 18:53

We are about to have a raspberry explosion and I'd appreciate suggestions about what to do with them other than the old favourites of raspberry roulade and stuffing several handfuls in one's mouth!

All suggestions welcome!

Goose

(Have scrolled through the three pages in the "Any recipes?" forum but there are none in there.

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: Raspberry suggestions, please
by Annik • Wed 24 Jun 2009 19:25

We are in the same position. I have tried a concoction which is based on a recipe I found on the Internet but now doesn't bear much resemblance to it. You put trifle sponges in the base of a bowl, then put the raspberries on top with lots of sugar and an optional swig of homemade cassis. Leave it in a warm place with a covering to keep the flies off (I have discovered some wonderful little plastic "hats" in the supermarket, in three different sizes) for a few hours until the juices have been absorbed by the sponges. It isn't Cordon Bleu but it is nice with dollops of cream or ice cream.

Annik

PS: I hope the book swop went well, we had hoped to come but jobs on the garden, and chopping down big branches from one of our trees - great fun - took precedence in the end.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by JulieR • Thu 25 Jun 2009 10:53

I made raspberry sorbet last year when a friend was giving away some of his rasberries...delish! It went down well for dessert when friends were around for a curry!
Julie

JulieR
May 2005
by Goose • Thu 25 Jun 2009 11:23

Thank you, Kate.

I sometimes don't google as being on very slow dial-up, many websites take ages to download and then more ages when I click on a recipe to look at it. It can be very frustrating and I often give up as it gets boring sitting gazing at an apparently frozen screen until it comes to life again - let alone the time wasted.

However, I went into both of your suggested sites and have copied several recipes to try.

Thanks again.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: Raspberry recipes
by maryr • Thu 25 Jun 2009 18:52

Hi Goose,
This is one of my favourite recipes

Raspberry Parfait

1lb(450g) raspberries
6fl oz(200ml) cream
4oz(120g) cream cheese
8oz(250g) icing sugar

2lb loaf tin or a ring tin oiled and lined with cling film.

Wash the raspberries and liquidise into a puree. Push through a nylon sieve to remove seeds. Whisk the cream cheese and icing sugar together in a mixer, add the raspberry puree and mix well. Whip the cream until stiff and stir into the mixture. Place the mixture in prepared tin and freeze overnight. Remove from the freezer just before serving with fresh raspberries. Serves 6-8.

Some tips on whipping cream
The cream must have 30% fat content
It must be well chilled before whipping
Whisk slowly at first then increase the speed as the cream thickens.
Cremefix can be whisked in at the end to stablize the cream.
Store whipped cream in a plastic container in the fridge. before securing the lid place a white paper napkin between the lid and the box and this helps to keep the cream firm.

bon appetit
maryr

maryr
Nov 2007
by Annik • Thu 09 Jul 2009 20:53

What's "Cremefix"? Sorry to show my ignorance.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions