Game Birds
by Sevy • Thu 11 Dec 2008 12:18

As I will be spending christmas this year in the Creuse I would like to know if anyone has found a butchers that sells
Pheasant, pidgeon or partridge. I haven't seen many flying around but there is a lot of hunting going on near where I live. Where does all the meat go?
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
Re: Game Birds
by Annik • Thu 11 Dec 2008 14:13

It goes into the chasseurs' freezers!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Thu 11 Dec 2008 15:37

You can order game birds from most butchers but these are _very_ expensive something like €20+ a pheasant so check the prices first (the same applies to chickens, goose, turkey, rabbit and duck - although these can all be found in most supermarkets anyway).

Birds aren't raised on mass here since there is no way of preventing others from coming onto your land and shooting them for nothing - so there are no "shoots" as such and thus far fewer birds for consumption (I've never even seen a pheasant in the Creuse although I dare say that they do actually exist).

For pigeons try asking your neighbours who will know someone who hunts them, but don't expect them to be "oven ready" in any way.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by adey • Sun 11 Jul 2010 15:34

With Ref to your post Dave, I'd hoped to be able to fence off a part of the woodland (2000 SqM) and breed pheasant for the table. Would I be able to put Chasse Interdite signs up and legally enforce them?
The way your post reads it seems as if anyone could come onto my pasture an shoot the pigs?? :lol:

adey
Aug 2009
by alldown • Sun 11 Jul 2010 16:21

I must have missed this post when it started so long ago.

When we first started going out to la Creuse a neighbour after a mornings hunting knocked on our door with 2 pheasants. He did not say a word just stood proudly (and rightly so) with the birds and with some coaching from Maman in his ear young Leo (around 4 at the time)said "would you please to like to eat Mr and Mrs pheasant" in English. I think Maman's English is there more than my French but why should she have to use it. When we are in France we should use what ever (in my case appalling and small) amount of French that we have

Needless to say we were delighted but I probably showed my ignorance in pointing to the feathers etc. and shrugging in ignorance Mr Neighbour just said non problem took them away and brought them back the following day cleaned, gutted, trussed and whatever else has to be done to be ready to cook.

They were delicious

PS all our neighbours love strong English Chedder. We never put French cheese down, love it, but it is funny when neighbours come for apero. We do the usual thing put out a few crisps, nuts etc and always a small bowl of chopped English strong Chedder They taste a little piece of cheese and enquire "anglais???" with that shocked look that tells you that they did not think anything English could possibly be palattabe let alone tasty

alldown
Sep 2005
by virtdave • Sun 11 Jul 2010 17:02

The laws governing hunting in France are, of course, complicated, but I'm fairly sure you can fence off property which you own, and post it. If it's more than 20 hectares, no problem in posting it, and in any case hunting can't be within 150 meters of a dwelling. If you're anti-hunting, you can forbid it on your property, but only if you agree not to hunt there yourself. You can look here for more than you want to know--article L4.22.13 there mentions the above.
How easy this is to effect may depend on your commune--in St-Georges-Nigremont, the ACCA (the hunting association) is run by a particularly bright and enthusiastic hunter (the Président), and he'd be the person to talk to here--you can check with the mayor of your commune if you want to faire opposition in some way to hunting on your land. This year, I think we're going to spring for a lacher de faisans, though I'll likely cast my ACCA vote against this, since loosing birds to shoot seems to me a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. I've been hunting with the folks here for a while, and we go out on weekends, mostly for wild boar (rare last year) and roe deer.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Mon 12 Jul 2010 16:32

With Ref to your post Dave, I'd hoped to be able to fence off a part of the woodland (2000 SqM) and breed pheasant for the table. Would I be able to put Chasse Interdite signs up and legally enforce them?
The way your post reads it seems as if anyone could come onto my pasture an shoot the pigs?? :lol:
Said adey
I believe so yes. Hunters can't shoot everything (although you get the impression sometimes that they can). They can't shoot livestock including your birds raised for the pot, nor even shoot nearby if this would negatively effect the birds, but they can shoot any escaped birds and those released for a shoot hence the lack of shooting in this way.

You should check with your Maire that they don't mind you using the land in this way and also with the Chambre d'agriculture in Guéret for the paperwork that you'd need to raise birds for consumption etc. As VirtDave suggests you may also need to make a formal application to bar hunters.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions