vegetarian meat
by lady • Sun 25 May 2008 16:32

Does anyone know if tofu or quorn etc can be bought here
If yes what would it be called and where would I buy it
I have a friend visiting and she is vegetarian and I would like to be able to give her something other than just veggies
any recipes would be fabulous as I haven't a clue what to cook for her if I can not get hold of the meat substitute
many thanks to you all :roll:

one word of kindness will make a huge difference.
lady
Mar 2008
Re: vegetarian meat
by maryr • Sun 25 May 2008 18:45

I haven't been able to locate tofu or Quorn - you could always ask your friend to bring some with them.

My son is vegetarian and does not eat fish so I'm always trying out new recipes - here are a few I use

Make a vegetarian cottage pie or lasagne but use lentils instead of mince beef. (tinned lentils are fine if you don’t want the bother of cooking lentils)

Vegetable curry and add some chick peas (tinned)

Peppers or large mushrooms stuffed with savoury couscous.

Vegetable Risotto with some cashew nuts added.

Pasta dishes – some good ones on bbcgoodfood.com

Omelettes filled with fried mushrooms and onions or spinach, onion and cream.

Goat’s cheese (cherve) Get a ½” slice of goat’s cheese and make a pocket in the side of it – stuff with sundried tomatoes and pesto. Seal and dip in flour and then twice in egg and breadcrumbs. Leave in the fridge for about an hour then fry gently in oil for a few minutes. Serve with a choice of vegetables.

Veggie sausages or Glamorgan sausages – Cook a chopped onion in oil and a good knob of butter in a small covered dish in the microwave until soft – about 3mins. Put some breadcrumbs in a bowl, add the onion and all the butter/oil, grated carrot, grated cheese, parsley and mixed herbs and combine all together with a beaten egg. Roll in sausage shape and fry gently until browned on all sides.
NB liquidise left-over baguettes or bread for breadcrumbs and store in the freezer ready for use.

Chickpea Burgers
1 tin chick peas
1 tin sweetcorn
1carrot, grated
5oz oatmeal
1tsp curry powder or paste
1 egg, beaten
Salt and black pepper

Put the drained chickpeas and sweetcorn and mash until coarsely blended, add carrot, 2oz oatmeal, curry powder, seasoning and egg. Combine well and shape into burgers, coat in oatmeal and fry in hot oil for 3-4 minutes. Serve in burger buns with fried onion and chutney or tomato ketchup.

maryr

maryr
Nov 2007
by JulieR • Sun 25 May 2008 18:51

Hi, the recipes look good, I will give the burgers a go for sure as I have friends over next week with with two vegetarian sons. and my veggie sister is over in June.

I have seen tofu in our local Champion supermarket but haven't seen quorn.

Any tofu recipes?
Julie

JulieR
May 2005
by datz • Sun 25 May 2008 22:45

Vegetarians don't just eat veg! I would be as thin as a rake if that was the case :-)

Have a look at some vegsoc.org recipe pages for some inspiration.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.
David

datz
Jul 2007
by Chergirl • Fri 30 May 2008 16:15

As ever the timing of these threads is impeccable. I have my son's veggie girlfriend coming out for a week in June so rest assured I will be trying some of these recipes out as well.
Thanks everyone

Chergirl
Oct 2007
by thewrights • Sat 31 May 2008 10:14

Hi there!

I'm veggie too - we have found tofu in the chiller cabinets in Champion and Carrefour, so that's not a problem.

A friend told me the other day that there was a man on Bourganeuf market (Weds. mornings) who sells british stuff that can be hard to get, and that he stocks quorn. It may be a bit pricey though :(

If you're nearby, you're welcome to some of our tvp (textured vegetable protein). It's a dry mix so keeps well and you just use it to replace mince in eg bolognese or chilli. We bought loads of it when we came over at the beginning of the year so there's no danger of us running short!!

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by baywindowgirl • Sun 01 Jun 2008 18:57

Have you checked that your friend eats meat substitutes like Quorn mince? Some veggies don't on principle. I try not to because frankly it's not terribly nice! I know we can be a bit awkward to cater for, but you're pretty safe with pasta and veggies :-)

baywindowgirl
Mar 2008
veg meat
by lady • Mon 16 Jun 2008 21:04

:lol: Thanks to all of you who posted re veg meat you were a great help my friend had a fab time and has taken the recipes home and I have sugessted that she register with this site as she is looking to buy in france. Once again thank you all :wink:

one word of kindness will make a huge difference.
lady
Mar 2008
Quorn
by redburmese • Fri 29 Oct 2010 23:25

if anyone needs quorn products Dave and Dot at the cornershop have a freezer full of assorted products [same people as mentioned in the gravy browning topic ] :lol:

redburmese
Aug 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions