Internet, telephone, tv combos...
by cmchsmjm • Wed 03 Aug 2016 08:30

Hello all,
We are interested (desperate) to have Internet access and tv at our house and have seen some great deals in town.
As in the UK, do we need to have a telephone line installed before we can apply for the Internet combos or is this all part of the deal?
We have a telephone line going into the house but this was used by the previous owners and is no longer active.
Any advice/recommendations would greatly appreciated
Thanks

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: Internet, telephone, tv combos...
by RobertArthur • Wed 03 Aug 2016 09:20

Before deciding, please check the distance between your house and the local telephone exchange, in French: your Noeud de Raccordement d'Abonnés (NRA). For these combo abonnements you need download speed. The problem with this high frequency ADSL signal is that after about six kilometers there is not too much left. Line attenuation, affaiblissement, see this information. If you are more than three kilometers from your local NRA it will be difficult to get a decent tv reception.

The owner of all these copper wires France Télécom has a database with details about every connection. There are several telecom websites enabling you to access this data, ARIASE, DEGROUPTEST. The line attenuation you see is a calculated one, not measured. In real life, (lack of) maintenance, you might be lucky with less attenuation, or the opposite.

Not having your own phone line active is not always a problem: sometimes the number of the former owners is still somewhere in Big Brother's memory. Or else: input the number of one of your neighbours to get an impression of what is possible. And don't check the box: call me back........

For these combo abonnements you don't need a separate ligne fixe (POTS), but you do need the same two copper wires. By the way: from 2020 the old analogue telephone system will gradually be phased out by Orange.

Possible future work inside your house, the old telephone wiring.

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by cmchsmjm • Wed 03 Aug 2016 09:38

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
A few of our close neighbors have Internet services. Not The fastest but that doesn't concern us too much.
I will check out the things you suggested....

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by David_J • Wed 03 Aug 2016 09:44

My experience with resellers here such as TELE2, Free and SFR was a nightmare. SFR is a book in itself on poor service, hopeless billing and disinterested staff. I recommend Orange (French Telecom as was). Obviously, I already had the line, supplied as with all local loops by FT as outside the cities, they are the only provider.
Losing patience with my then supplier SFR after yet another day with no internet, I rang Orange on a Saturday and arranged service with them. The following Tuesday the router and paperwork arrived and I tried to set up the system on the Wednesday. Somewhat unusually for technology today, the delivered router did not work so I called the help desk who arranged for an engineer to visit. The engineer arrived on the Friday, replaced the router and left me with a working system of line, telephone and internet. I could have had TV too if I desired. On leaving, the engineer looked at a section of the line and did not like a 2 metre stretch between the EDF pole in the road and theirs in my garden so arranged to return and change it which he did the following Monday assisted by another engineer with a cherry picker.
In the UK I worked for a telecom company and am well aware of the casual disregard the industry has in general for non business users. They expect a 'churn' of domestic consumers every year. This probably explains my amazement at the speed and quality of the whole process from Orange.
And no, I am not on commission!
David

And to explain Robert's acronym POTS - withing the industry there are POTS and PANS. POTS stands for Plain Old Telecom Services or the old analogue system we know and hate. PANS however stand for Pretty Amazing New Stuff which is all the new digital services we see arriving. I would place a small wager of the number of users on Satellite TV (like SKY) being overtaken by TV arriving down the telephone line within 10 years.

David_J
Aug 2006
by cmchsmjm • Wed 03 Aug 2016 13:45

David J, thanks for the info....fingers crossed we can sort something out. Will try this afternoon...

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by virtdave • Wed 03 Aug 2016 14:17

Orange has become dramatically better in the past couple of years. Our place is (I think) about 4km from the nearest NRA, and we have minimal problem streaming movies over our internet connection--but some neighbors, just one km further away, cannot get internet service. Currently, we must plug our telephone into our Livebox to get a dial tone, and our old in-house wiring no longer seems to be connecting for phonecalls. I'm pretty sure that if you call Orange--they have an anglophone help line, 09 69 36 39 00--they can test your location to determine whether you can connect to their service. We bought our Livebox, and if you are diligent about unplugging it during lightning storms, so you don't fry it, it's cheaper than renting one.
I would strongly disrecommend Free. They are beyond awful....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by RobertArthur • Wed 03 Aug 2016 16:30

VirtDave, I do hope that your in-house phone wiring has been disconnected. Your two copper wires should only be used to feed your Orange modem. You still can use your old wiring, but only if connected to the phone output of your Orange Livebox. To prevent signal loss and possible noise pickup from the wring still connected in parallel to your incoming adsl signal. You probably have a triple-play abonnement as they once used to market it: voice over IP (VOIP) + internet + tv. If you have a multimeter available easy to check. In the good old analogue telephone system there is a DC voltage present between your two telephone wires, about 48 volts.Suggested reading. Possible reward: more internet speed. So give it a try.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Les Meuniers • Wed 03 Aug 2016 16:58

I am open to correction but I think only Orange can supply the landlines here so packages from anyone else are dearer. They can restore an old line but with a new number. Orange in main square Gueret is ok in our experience and has (some very) competent English speakers available. We made a beginners' mistake in telling Orange that there were branches resting on the phone line. This resulted in Orange telling the mayor to do something about it; are you familiar with the term ELAGAGES? The mayor is now chasing half the landowners up here to cut their hedges and trees back or pay a fine but most of them are saying ignore him nothing will happen. Um. If we end up in trouble I will let you know.

Les Meuniers
Apr 2016
by virtdave • Fri 05 Aug 2016 14:52

Thanks, RobertArthur--as usual, your expertise is helpful and interesting. Though I'd like to plug my Livebox VOIP output into my household telephone wiring, I'd have to rewire the way I've now got the phone line connected--some years ago, I fixed it to send all the house wiring through a single plug, so it'd be simpler to disconnect all the phone lines at once when lightning threatens. It's not a problem for the extension phones I now have, since only one need be connected to the Livebox output, the others connect to the base wirelessly.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by cmchsmjm • Sat 13 Aug 2016 11:44

Thanks for all the advise good people. We went with a package from Bouygues. The engineer arrived early on the appointed day, installed the line with out a fuss and a couple of days later we went live :)
I had to pop back to the UK due to work commitments but by all accounts internet access is pretty fast. The only problem we need to sort out now is that we were under the impression that we had signed up for a package including tv but the second 'Miami' box has not been delivered! Might be a lost in translation thing but my partner is heading back to Guéret to try and sort this out...fingers crossed

cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions