Digital Camera Recommendation
by Dave • Fri 22 Jan 2016 12:53

I have a small pocket camera which I take walking with me and also take most of the photo I use on the web - this is an old Canon IXUS compact camera. It's almost perfect for this sort thing, small lightweight, with a battery that lasts forever, but has a couple of drawbacks. It's not so good in dim light and even in full sun the pictures are a big dark. Secondly whist it has a good zoom for this kind of camera it lacks a wide angle option which I think would be useful.

I'd like to upgrade it to have the wide angle option and a better lens for low light conditions. I don't want a full D-SLR nor really the option to change lens because I need something light and small but I would like a viewfinder rather than just a screen to look at.

Can you recommend something?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Digital Camera Recommendation
by RobertArthur • Fri 22 Jan 2016 17:00

Dave, several years ago I said goodbye to my Canon, seduced by the excellent lens of a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8. Special offer, special price, so another digital camera to join the family of my electronic gadgets. The lens: made by Leica, wide angle 25 mm when comparing it with my good old Nikon 28 mm heavy weight and a 12 x optical zoom. Most small digital cameras offer 35 mm as wide angle, and a zoom of x3 or sometimes x5. As the little Samsung of my wife. Easier to take with you, but for quality pictures (art, architecture etc.) she prefers my Panasonic. Bright, colorful, sharp pictures. Of landscapes, buildings, faces and not to forget everything you can discover in the installation électrique à la française. There are smaller cameras, but a little bit of weight helps to stabilise it. Indeed, manually. For low light conditions it does a good job, but honestly, in analogue times my Nikon with a 400 ASA film, developping it as 800 ASA, did a better job. Or perhaps I should have a better look at all the menu options of my Panasonic. Makes you lazy, these digital snaphooters.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by RobertArthur • Fri 22 Jan 2016 21:01

Dave, to illustrate wiring practices of the ERDF these two pictures in the old city of Avallon, October last year. One wide angle for the tourists among us, another one using the impressive zoom function of my Panasonic to have a closer look at a three-phase feed to these medieval buildings. Pretty sharp.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by kowalczy • Sat 23 Jan 2016 10:32

I would second Roberts choice of a Lumix although I have the DMC-TZ30 which has a 24mm Ultra Wide Angle lens and an optical zoom of 20x (35mm camera equivalent of 24 - 480mm). Using Intelligent Zoom this can be increased to 40x. It comes with GPS tagging, so you will never forget where you took that picture. 14.1 mega pixal.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Dave • Mon 25 Jan 2016 09:45

Thanks for the recommendation, the Lumix range looks like a good choice. The Leica lens seems pretty amazing for a compact but a few reviews are a bit negative about it's performance in low light conditions although tbf this is a very common complaint of compacts and I'm probably asking too much of a pocket camera with a built in lens. It seems like view-finders are a thing of the past although some of the more expensive models in the Lumix range so have them, so I might have to consider that and spend a bit more.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Dave • Thu 25 Feb 2016 10:04

I decided on a DMC-TZ60 which has an electronic view finder and a pretty amazing lens for this type of camera with wide angle and 30x zoom. It's bigger the the Canon and feels less well made and more plasticy but robust enough I hope. I managed to get a good deal from eBay and I'm pretty happy with the few test shots that I've made. It'll take a while to get to grips with the new position of stuff and all the features this one has (most of which I don't expect to use, although the panorama shot will be handy).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by rictel • Thu 25 Feb 2016 18:36

Hope you enjoy your new camera Dave , we await some shots being posted :)

rictel
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions